• Register Today It's free!

SOHC ...any suggestion

khx

Reaction score
City, State
Colts Neck, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
i have a 98 xlt 4 door SOHC, gibson cat back exhaust, and power adder cone air filter on my stock piping. I want to get the sct x3 tuner from stillen, k&n CAI, bbk 66mm throttle body, and helix thermal spacer, and other suggestions for some more power or any suggestion precautions i should take by installing any of these things. im not really ready to spend the money on a turbo or a s/c yet tho unless i make my own s/c to produce like 1-3 psi. please let me know, looking for a little more speed. o and btw i now have 78,000 miles on it and ford just put in a brand new tranny at about 77,400. any input would be appriciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my s/c kit is for sale 2K + shipping...

i have a 98 xlt 4 door SOHC, gibson cat back exhaust, and power adder cone air filter on my stock piping. I want to get the sct x3 tuner from stillen, k&n CAI, bbk 66mm throttle body, and helix thermal spacer, and other suggestions for some more power or any suggestion precautions i should take by installing any of these things. im not really ready to spend the money on a turbo or a s/c yet tho unless i make my own s/c to produce like 1-3 psi. please let me know, looking for a little more speed. o and btw i now have 78,000 miles on it and ford just put in a brand new tranny at about 77,400. any input would be appriciated.
Stock t/b was 65MM the next step up is 70MM unless you have a OHV motor then the 66MM is your only option. If you weren't going supercharged then a underdrive pulley would be your best bet for hp and torque. I recommend using a set of Gibson or JBA headers.

Your on the right track where you are. Theres not alot more you can do without putting alot of money into it via cams s/c turbo etc. Make sure your timming chain tensioner is replaced. thats a key part int eh function of the motor.

i had the timing chain tensioner replaced and now it doesnt do it at idle anymore but only between like 2500 and 3000.i thought stock throttle body was in the 50's. can you get upgraded pulleys for the automatic?...if so where. I def. need some more low end, and as far as headers, i kind of want to not go there, im happy with how loud it is with the cat back and dont really want it much louder. think the sct x3 is a good buy for me too?

i had the timing chain tensioner replaced and now it doesnt do it at idle anymore but only between like 2500 and 3000.i thought stock throttle body was in the 50's. can you get upgraded pulleys for the automatic?...if so where. I def. need some more low end, and as far as headers, i kind of want to not go there, im happy with how loud it is with the cat back and dont really want it much louder. think the sct x3 is a good buy for me too?

The SCT Xcal 2 and 3 are both great buys, as I've been told. Get a hold of James at hensonperformance.com and he'll hook you up with the unit and some top quality tunes.

hensonperformance.com also has an underdrive crankshaft pulley for the SOHC at $255. Also, underdog-performance (stuffforyourranger.com) has an idler pulley, an overdrive alt pulley, and an underdrive water pulley.

Your not gonna get that low end feel with a 4.0 unless its cold (motor) and temp ive noticed, via OHC. Unless you redo the gears. a tune, good plugs wires and intake exaust helps tho.

i had the timing chain tensioner replaced and now it doesnt do it at idle anymore but only between like 2500 and 3000.

That is the primary chain. Unfortunately, you have more tensioner repairs in your future. If you wait until it fails, you risk damaging valves, heads, and pistons too. Spend the money to fix it now or spend a lot more later.

Kabukie can you email me the details about your Supercharger? EDIT deleted my email address due to SPAM BOTS.

Your best bang for the buck will be the underdrive crank pulley.

Contact James Henson at Henson Performance ( http://hensonperformance.com/welcome.html ).

Good luck ...

I agree 100% Al, people just dont understand the power effects of the underdrive pulley. I know it isn't pretty, doesn't make any sound, you cant tinker with it,etc... But what it does do is give power all the time and doesn't give any problems. Install it and leave it alone. Your done. The power difference, well... IT IS OBVIOUS! I have a turbocharged truck and aside from the turbocharger, the pulley was one of the best bang for the bucks to date. Better than the e-fan. I felt the pulley more than the e-fan. Actually the e-fan was a let down for me. I noticed not one difference in mpg and the power seemed to be better but not as good as the pulley.-j

Is the underdrive pulley hard to install? Also, what is the difference between a MAC CAI and some random one off eBay, just trying to save a couple of bucks. Thanks

Well is doesn't seem complicated, just time consuming. Thank you.

Any idea on the CAI? What makes the MAC more significant(more costly) then others?

Is it going to last longer, perform better or is it the name that makes it quality? I just can't see spending an extra $100 for something for namesake.

Again, thank you for your time.

I recommend using a set of Gibson or JBA headers.

This is a 1998 SOHC and all the websites say '99-'03 - what is the reason for this? Is the 1998 SOHC a late release, and counted as a '99 or is the '98 SOHC different?
Thanks!

It was created in 97, same engine. I think...

Back