::SOLVED:: Equivalent for 2nd Gen "Dark Lapis Metallic" Aerosol Base Coat Touchup Paint? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

::SOLVED:: Equivalent for 2nd Gen "Dark Lapis Metallic" Aerosol Base Coat Touchup Paint?

So, I got lucky and a while ago I found a "dark blue metallic" aerosol at my Autozone from the Duplicolor line of products and it totally worked for rock chips and other blemishes on the body paintwork.. a few years ago..

However, now it seems as though they do not stock this anywhere anymore (that I've found, in my area(s.))

Have now recently picked up a Lund Moon Visor, that is white. My 97 Explorer is Dark Lapis Metallic, and, of course, it is nearly impossible to find a trustworthy-looking listing for this paint in aerosol form online. I only need to spray this very cosmetic visor. (I am VERY experienced in smoothly painting with aerosol cans.. and trust me I do not mind block sanding and polishing this visor after I 2k clear it, so no worries.. just saying ;) )
Does anyone have any particular go-to sites for paint? Has anyone had to match dark lapis metallic ("close enough?" ex: "dark blue metallic that matches Original Ford Colors!") I got lucky with the "dark blue metallic" but it was never over a large significant area, if the visor doesn't match in a glaringly obvious way I'll probably be sick. I keep my paint very clean and well taken care of so it will definitely show, but that means I can probably get away with a non-tinted or non-biased color that hasn't been age-accounted-for and slightly yellowed or darkened or whatever they would do to make this match at, say, Maaco.
And yes, I could take it to Maaco, but I like to have fun, so.... I'm not doing that.

I did check eBay and there's lots of listings, of course, all of them sketch me the hell out. Knowing my luck I'll get a flat dead can that has become entirely coagulated inside.

Amazon is totally void of the color I need. Plenty of silvers though.

The paint code is "Ford Dark Lapis Metallic KN/M6681." The door sticker says KN, and from what I've read on this forum some other years of "KN" is not a dark blue, but those who have a 97 at least on this forum can be quoted saying their KN label = dark lapis metallic. So thanks for that 1990's era Ford.

And, yes, I have primer, and a 2k clearcoat that shouldn't behave badly with a duplicolor-esque base coat. Not that I won't wisely be doing a test patch. So I'm ready to go, and itching to get this painted, but I obviously need to find a reliable place to get my hands on some aerosol can base coat. Ideally in person! But online works too. Stores near me are Napa, Autozone, Advance.. I would totally travel though if I had to. If anyone can check New Jersey stores if you somehow know something I have yet to figure out, I'd super appreciate it [: Thanks guys and lemme know if we can hunt this paint down LOL!

20230619_125550.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Amazon has it, but I don't know enough to pick one there or elsewhere and it seems expensive though I haven't bought touch-up paint in years.

Amazon product ASIN B00GVQEY5YAmazon product ASIN B09C51VTDH
Edit: Something went wrong with the amazon links above, I'll post them broken trying to make the text at least show up:

amazon.com/dp/B00GVQEY5Y
amazon.com/dp/B09C51VTDH

I don't suppose that wedgewood blue metallic (like on my '98) would be close enough? It's at least in stock at some local autoparts shops, though probably lighter blue and possibly more metallic as well.

Considering the significant amount of black trim/tires on the vehicle, I suspect satin black would look good too and is a whole lot easier/cheaper to find.

Amazon has it, but I don't know enough to pick one there or elsewhere and it seems expensive though I haven't bought touch-up paint in years.

Amazon product ASIN B00GVQEY5YAmazon product ASIN B09C51VTDH
Edit: Something went wrong with the amazon links above, I'll post them broken trying to make the text at least show up:

amazon.com/dp/B00GVQEY5Y
amazon.com/dp/B09C51VTDH

I don't suppose that wedgewood blue metallic (like on my '98) would be close enough? It's at least in stock at some local autoparts shops, though probably lighter blue and possibly more metallic as well.

Considering the significant amount of black trim/tires on the vehicle, I suspect satin black would look good too and is a whole lot easier/cheaper to find.
Hey thanks! Well, I considered doing it in black, but then I'd have to do the whole roof to feel right about it. I do intend to redo the hood eventually, when I got it someone sprayed it black and I touched that up but the hood's just overall beat. That's its own project, but the goal is to have a matching visor hood and roof and I figure I'll start with the visor because that's the last thing I wanna remove LOL.
Those Amazon listings show unavailable for me but I've got them bookmarked!! Thanks!
Wedgewood Blue Metallic is a bit paler of a blue, and not as dark. I think there's more blue in the lapis but it's much darker. I do like that color but I think it'll stand out a bit too much. I was lately considering just to get it on the truck using a dark blue similar to the lapis and then adding black or doing it over black to achieve a good enough blend where it looks right. Just to get the visor on. But I'd rather just have the right stuff, do it the right way one time.

Thanks! That looks like a GM dark blue metallic. It may work it may not but where I'm at right now O'Reillys is a trip from me, not like where I used to live where there was one every five seconds. I think it is a tinge more purple-y than the Ford dark blue metallic and maybe not as dark. The Dark Lapis Metallic is surprisingly dark compared to other blues.. :(

Will post updates when I can get a can of base coat! Thanks for the help everyone

Those Amazon listings show unavailable for me but I've got them bookmarked!!

I don't know how to explain that, I just checked the links and both are available for ordering. I'm in the US though, I don't know where "Yeah" is located. ;)

I don't know how to explain that, I just checked the links and both are available for ordering. I'm in the US though, I don't know where "Yeah" is located. ;)
Yeah. :)
I managed to get them to work properly, stupid VPN lol. I turned it off and Amazon just didn't like that. Wouldn't show me shipping availability.
I ordered a Duplicolor *Ford* Dark Blue Metallic (have used it before,) and it's on the way! All the local autozones are out of it. Got the last cans before when I was in South Jersey and they never restocked, now where I live there are none there either.
Also, thanks Amazon.. Despite having searched for that Duplicolor code specifically, it never came up in search. I had to google it.. and then it came up with an Amazon link. What the hell is that? So backwards lol.
Will post updates when the paint arrives in about 6 or less days, or possibly as soon as tomorrow. So stoked for the visor!

Update! It got here and thankfully, I did not remember wrong; "Ford Dark Blue Metallic" by Duplicolor is indeed a match for Dark Lapis Metallic. Primed and sprayed my visor last night and sanded and cleared it this morning.
Mounted it from afternoon to night! Thanks everyone for the massive help [:

20230711_132242.jpg

20230711_132251.jpg

20230711_132301.jpg

20230711_132310.jpg

20230711_205512.jpg

Back