Spas got BULLITTS >:D | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spas got BULLITTS >:D

Hey, gang! Bet you were expecting to see pics of my new 2001 GT grey spoke Bullitts, huh? No dice just yet, but since you're already here, maybe you can help me answer a few questions :D

I won them off of a 2001 Gt Mustang on ebay for a ridiculously low price (They're used, but I won't tell you how much I paid because there might be a few jealous 'bullitts' launched at my head, lol) They're 17x8 and I need to hunt down some sporty tires for them. It'll be three weeks before I can post pics for everybody to see, and for that I'm sorry, but it gives me a few weeks to get everything together to get them on the truck. On to the HELP ME PLEASE section:

1) Am I gonna need spacers? My truck's only dropped an inch up front

2) Is this going to mess up my speedo?

3) I need to get stick on wheel weights, and put them inSIDE the rims to keep it clean looking, right?
This one's probably the most important:

4) What tires should I get? I need good snow, water, and mud traction, with sporty handling. I also want to keep the overall TIRE size as close to the 255/70 that I have now..by that I mean that I want a good bit of sidewall (I hate the idea of low profile tires on my ride with all that wheelwell space) Michelin? Pirelli? What???

5) Any stress on steering, suspension, or other components that I should be worried about?

6) How much do you think book value is on my premium factory rims with goodyear ATS's (that still have 80% of their tread left)? They're in pretty decent shape for 4 year old rims...

Thanks guys, you all are priceless when it comes to helping out fellow Explorians!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

huh, my tires rub my sway-bar, not that i care, but i hadnt thought about the stupid upper ball joint. BTW: thats the upper ball joint where the spindle attaches to the upper A-arm.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Upper Ball Joint! Ah HAH! lol

I've been told two opposing things:
1) Get 3/16th's spacers and check the nuts frequently for wear, and
2) Leave them alone, there's enough space that it won't interfere with the tires, because any compression from bumps, curbs :D, etc, takes place at the bottom of the tire.

I was a little mistaken on the pass side BALL JOINT being rubbed raw-that was because the 'friend' who put the rims on neglected to tighten the lug nuts! 2 blocks of driving on a wobbly wheel probably caused that damage....there's no marks on the driver's side, just not much clearance.

Thanks for the compliments-I get a lot of looks when I show off at the car shows (well, the neons probably have something to do with that, lol)

Now if I hadn't sold the damn caps, I'd be all set....I got a set of SVT caps, but they don't have the height on them that the originals had, so they look recessed :(

Do you have any side view pics?

OOPS

I forgot about this thread! I just took some side pics and Ill post them as sson as I get them back :)

Still trying to figure out what to do with the caps....

Huh? What did I miss?

I got the side pics back today, but I'm too exhausted to scan them in right now-I'll have them up tomorrow ;)

Spas, I really think you should do something about those front wheels soon! That tire is WAY too close to the upper ball joint. When I'm parked and the front wheels are straight, I am about 1 1/2 inches away from the joint, but when I take sharp turns, my wheels sway and rub the ball joint. Granted, my tires are a little more low profile, sheesh yours are bulging!

I would consider getting some smaller tires. I know it might not be the answer you want to hear, but down the line, that upper arm is going to start taking it's toll on your tires (after reading some of your earlier posts, it has already started). That could make for an extremely unsafe situation! Avoid using spacers at all costs!

i want new pics of the rims.. and center caps..

Spas, I hope you're still OK.....:roll: I agree with Hartman and others, the front tires are dangerously close to the upper ball joint. I don't like spacers either, especially on a 4x4.

One solution would be to go with a smaller tire with a larger aspect ratio on the front. This would allow you to keep the bigger ones on the back. If the diameter of the tires is kept the same, front and back, there will be no problems with the 4WD.

If it weren't for the extreme funds-a-low funk I'm in right now, I'd love to get some lower profile tires if only to get the PS pump to stop its whining. I still check the tires regularly and there's no abnormal wear on them though-as long as I keep them inflated to 32 PSI or higher (I don't go over 35, ever). I'm really impressed with their handling in the snow though-went out all day int he 8 inches we got and had NO problems ;) Although I'm not sure how much credit should go to my LS diff, 4.10's and 4WD....

I just took some side pics of Backjack in the snow yesterday (The old ones didn't turn out), so I'll try to get them up soon. >crosses fingers and wishes for a digital camera for Christmas<

Attachments

• jack snow side.jpg
    jack snow side.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 564

there is nothing wrong with 1/4 wheel spacer on a 4x4 what the hell do you think an offset wheel is? if its tight and you have enough lug threads... your a perfectly fine... i hate people who know nothing about spacers.

Spas, I don't think you'll have any trouble getting out of your driveway when it snows.....;) Looks like you have a very capable X in Blackjack. We're awaiting the new pics.:bounce:

94EB, I didn't intend to offend anyone. I know many people run spacers and adapters with no problems, and if it works for them, that's fine. I don't like them simply because they add another wheel mating surface that is subject to expansion and contraction, and vibration.

That's just my own opinion though, and I'm sure others may disagree.....
:chug:

2 months later :rolleyes:

I'm really impressed with my F1's- they show very little wear even after 25,000 miles and as long as I stay away from any ice+snow+mud mixtures I don't get stuck (the only time I did was BAAAAAAD :( )

Drove all the way home from Hazleton, PA in the blizzard of the decade and had 0 problems :cool:

I want to get another set of the caps that the rims came with and have Lizardtrac make me some GT decals that will fit over them (and then shellac them or something so they don't come off) for Carlisle this year...

Attachments

• side view.jpg
    side view.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 500

Looking good, Spas.......That pic shows off the Bullitts really well. Those are my favorite wheels for an X.

I know what you mean about center caps. My Mazda wheels came without caps, and the local Mazda dealer wanted $53 EACH:eek: for new ones. I bought a set of chrome generic caps, sprayed them with clear enamel for better protection, and installed them with double sided 3M tape. That gave a more "finished" look.....

$53 a piece!! Good LORD! What a bunch of con artists dealers are! Damn....Thanks for the compliments! Did you have any problems with the caps not sticking?

Here's another sideview that 98FordX24 took this past summer (I love how you can't tell how filthy it was, lol)

Attachments

• 00000094.jpg
    00000094.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 480

Very nice! Bullitts are a tastful choice for X's, IMHO. They give a custom look without being flashy. :cool:

I hope to get some Bullitts down the road a bit. I bought the Mazda's because the price was right, and I could still use the (new) tires which were already on my old wheels.

The mounting clips on my center caps are slightly smaller than the hub bore. I simply wrapped one turn of double sided tape around the cap clips, then pushed the clips into the wheel bore. This holds them more securely than clips alone, and the caps look like they came stock on the wheels......

What's the latest on your center caps?

The down side to doing a search?:rolleyes:

Back