• Register Today It's free!

Speaker Replacement

DC Quick

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT 4x4
I am replacing my blown stock speakers for Infinity Reference 6812cf(from Online Car Stereo) tomarrow. Along with my stock headunit, which is getting replaced with a JVC Arsenal Series KD-AR480.

But with my new speakers going in, should it be an easy installation or do I have to drive to Auto Zone and buy anything? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The speakers are just plug and play if you got some wire harnesses. If you didn't don't worry you just have to do some splicing and soldering / crimping (I would recommend soldering though) and its not too bad. Or you could go to crutchfield.com and order some wire harnesses that will make the installation plug and play. The only reason you would need to go to autozone would be to get stuff to connect wires in which case you'd be better off going to a hardware store...

One thing... If you don't have this, get one. It's the miner's flashlight. That way your hands will be free to work. I can't tell you how helpful mine is... actually, if you have one you already know.

One thing... If you don't have this, get one. It's the miner's flashlight. That way your hands will be free to work. I can't tell you how helpful mine is... actually, if you have one you already know.

That is not needed to replace speakers.

The speakers are just plug and play if you got some wire harnesses. If you didn't don't worry you just have to do some splicing and soldering / crimping (I would recommend soldering though) and its not too bad. Or you could go to crutchfield.com and order some wire harnesses that will make the installation plug and play. The only reason you would need to go to autozone would be to get stuff to connect wires in which case you'd be better off going to a hardware store...

What if I have excess speaker wire from my home theater system? Can that work just aswell?

If you are doing your own install...

I am replacing my blown stock speakers for Infinity Reference 6812cf(from Online Car Stereo) tomarrow. Along with my stock headunit, which is getting replaced with a JVC Arsenal Series KD-AR480.

But with my new speakers going in, should it be an easy installation or do I have to drive to Auto Zone and buy anything? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question.

get the miner's light...

A door panel remover tool would be nice, but I'll see if I can work with what I have at home.

A door panel remover tool would be nice, but I'll see if I can work with what I have at home.

You can use a screwdriver, but be very careful.

You might be able to pick up a panel too; at Circuit City , Best Buy, a local stereo shop or maybe Radio Shack.

What is there to break when taking off the door panel?

I will be. Is there anything important I should know about installing my head unit?

Yep. Crutchfield hooked me up with a wiring harness adapter. I wanted to get my speakers from Crutchfield too, but they were sold out. And at Online Car Stereo, their prices are great, but they dont come with accessories. :-\

Good deal. I too am a big fan of Crutchfields,; have used them for decades.

When I install any wiring, and this includes the HU adapter wires, I always solder the connection and cover the joint with heat shrink tubing. Do it right the first time and you will not have to redo it.

Other than that, the installation of your new HU should be easy as pie.

I was thinking about using standard electrical tape. Ya know, wrap it around the wires a couple times. And leave a small tab of tape not wrapped up and run a lighter over it before I wrap the rest of the tape. So it will stick better, but that was what I was thinking.

And to clear up anything, I dont plan on running the lighter over the tape, and wires. Just a small slab left undone, and then wrap it on.

Yep. Crutchfield hooked me up with a wiring harness adapter. I wanted to get my speakers from Crutchfield too, but they were sold out. And at Online Car Stereo, their prices are great, but they dont come with accessories. :-\

If you haven't bought your speakers already i'd check out woofersetc.com. They have those speakers for $99.99 a pair plus shipping. If you got free shipping on yours then it probably works out about the same. I bought the component version of the Infinity 5x7's for the rears and I liked them enough to buy another set to replace the one's in the doors up front.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I already ordered them last Monday, and they should be here tomarrow. All the way from Cali. But their prices were 52.00 for a pair(got 2), and it had free shipping.

Back