Squealing Noise When Wet, Belt? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Squealing Noise When Wet, Belt?

I had this going on since almost day 1. After about 2 1/2 years of putting up with it because it would only happen during rain storms.. it would last about 1 - 2 seconds and when it stopped, I felt a jolt as if the engine grabbed again. Had the dealer change out my belt during a different service and it's been perfect ever since.

Yes that is exactly what I experience with mine. I haven't taken it into the dealer yet, but I am outside of my warranty now. On my recent road trip down south I went through a ton of rain and it was doing it regularly, about 1-2 seconds of squeal then it stops and I do get the sensation of the engine catching once it stops.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes that is exactly what I experience with mine. I haven't taken it into the dealer yet, but I am outside of my warranty now. On my recent road trip down south I went through a ton of rain and it was doing it regularly, about 1-2 seconds of squeal then it stops and I do get the sensation of the engine catching once it stops.

Same with mine at 45k miles. Guess I'll be headed to the parts store for a belt soon.

I am having this same exact issue. About a year ago it was happening and the dealer replaced the belt....Then it came back with a vengeance. Took it to the dealer today and got the dreaded "we can't reproduce". Well no kidding you didn't drive it in the rain you just sprayed it with a hose and it didn't squeal......if anyone has had any luck with getting this fixed let me know. I would really like to know what the issue is.

I am having this same exact issue...

How many miles are on your Explorer, SplashRI? I'll do some checking and see what I can do to help. Is there any wet weather coming your way soon? You can always give it another shot. Keep us in the loop. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Squealing belt only when wet out!

Hello I am new to the forums so I hope I am in the right spot! I have a 2014 Explorer Sport with about 19000 miles and whenever it is wet out I will periodically get a belt squeal along with light dimming and sometimes a noticeable lag in power. Has anyone had this happen to them, is there a possible splash guard missing, could it be a pulley, is the dimming pointing to the squeal being the alternator. I am going to take it in but it never does it while its dry. So do i take it in when its raining and make them test drive it on the spot? Thanks for the help:thumbsup:

Squealing belt sound

#I have been getting a squealing noise (just like a loose serpentine belt) only when it rains. Usually it's between 1st and second gear but today was even in a cruising speed. It feels like the car goes into a slight coast during the squeal and then grabs when the squeal stops. Is this a serpentine issue or something transmission related regarding the coasting feel?

It 8s (probably) just a belt or tensioner issue. It's slipping, which means you aren't getting voltage from the alternator, so it will feel like it "grabs" a little when the belt stops slipping. Good luck with it!

#I have been getting a squealing noise (just like a loose serpentine belt) only when it rains. Usually it's between 1st and second gear but today was even in a cruising speed. It feels like the car goes into a slight coast during the squeal and then grabs when the squeal stops. Is this a serpentine issue or something transmission related regarding the coasting feel?

Do you have any rainy weather coming your way, Rupp3184? If so, I'd recommend making an appointment so you can attempt to replicate this for your dealer. How many miles are on your Explorer?

Crystal

Belt squeal update

I replaced my belt last night and after I got the original one off I then realized while under the car to wrap the belt around the pulleys my engine splash guard is missing. I've had the oil changed at my local ford dealer (Harold Zeigler Ford of Elkhart, IN) and at some point in the last few changes the squeal started. I am almost certain it because of the missing plastic pane that blocks most of the water from hitting the belt. I haven't called the dealer yet but I don't want to have to spend probably $100 for a part they didn't put back after changing the oil. Any suggestions on how to proceed? I would've thought if it was missing for some reason they would've told me it was missing. 43k miles

I have read that on models with the tow package or Ecoboost that they have to remove the underbody air deflector bit I'm not sure about a splash guard. Not familiar with that item.

Peter

Part number?

Do you have any rainy weather coming your way, Rupp3184? If so, I'd recommend making an appointment so you can attempt to replicate this for your dealer. How many miles are on your Explorer?

Crystal

Do you know the part number for the underbody air/splash guard? I called the dealer and they gave me the part number 9910494 which I believe is wrong. That's for the air intake piece which I believe is related to the towing package.

Maybe bad belt.

Hello I am new to the forums so I hope I am in the right spot! I have a 2014 Explorer Sport with about 19000 miles and whenever it is wet out I will periodically get a belt squeal along with light dimming and sometimes a noticeable lag in power. Has anyone had this happen to them, is there a possible splash guard missing, could it be a pulley, is the dimming pointing to the squeal being the alternator. I am going to take it in but it never does it while its dry. So do i take it in when its raining and make them test drive it on the spot? Thanks for the help:thumbsup:

Having a similar issue on my XLT right now. changed my belt and just waiting for rainy weather. 43000 miles so I don't know why the belt would be bad already.

Do you know the part number for the underbody air/splash guard? I called the dealer and they gave me the part number 9910494 which I believe is wrong. That's for the air intake piece which I believe is related to the towing package.

Hi Rupp3184,

I found a few different options when checking out the Ford Parts site: http://www.fordparts.com Enter your VIN and you'll be able to find compatible parts for your vehicle. I did a search for "underbody" to get about a half-dozen results. You can also click on the "Contact Us" link at the top of the Ford Parts page to chat live with our parts pros. Let us know what you find out. :thumbsup:

Crystal

I did a quick search on www.fordparts.com and the only thing that seems to come up is the underbody air deflector. There is an underbody heat shield but that is for the 2.0L Ecoboost.

Peter

For those of you who changed your belt yourself..how hard was it and do you have any tips for it? Thanks!

Have had same issue with my xlt since 22k miles. belt as been replaced by dealer 2 times. after 2nd belt change I started to hear what sounded like a popcorn popping sound after inspection found the tensioner was bad. dealer replaced tensioner at 23k and again at 59k. squealing issue came back, tried to put a gatorback belt on lasted maybe 5k before noise came back again with popcorn sound. I bought a oem tensioner and oem belt off amazon for $58 ( dealer wanted $108 for tensioner and $56 for belt) shipped replaced both parts took my receipt and parts to dealer along with video of noises and dealer had me reimbursed for repair. at 66k now and no noises. Not fun to replace tensioner little hard to get to 1 bolt.

Having a similar issue on my XLT right now. changed my belt and just waiting for rainy weather. 43000 miles so I don't know why the belt would be bad already.

Correct! The serpentine belt (accessory belt) should last at least 100K miles. I believe in the manual it recommends it be checked/inspected at 100K miles for maintenance and to be changed at the 150K mark. If incorrect someone please correct me.

I had 150K on my Wrangler and did all the maintenance on it. I checked the serpentine belt every time I did an oil change for wear/fray marks and for tension It always looked good so I never changed it. It probably would have lasted another 50+K...

So when i drove in the rain the other day...it was fine..now in the last 2-3 days..my truck is always squeaking now..when i turn on the AC..it gets much worse and even has this hissing sound...once i turn AC off...squeaking gets much better. and goes away once i give it any amount of gas...with AC on it sqeaks all the way until 2K.

It did this last rain storm i drove it and it didn't go away from 1-2 weeks after the rain....bad belt?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think it's the design of the truck. Mine did it again yesterday after a heavy downpour with only 4k on the new belt.:thumbdwn:

Back