Squeek and roof rack questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Squeek and roof rack questions

boandjill

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac
HI all. Just bout a very nice condx 2002 Sport Trac and so far I love it. My first question is, is there a squeek that is common to Sport Tracs? I hear a squeeking when I lower the rear power window that opens to the bed. I like to have the window down, but the squeek is quite annoying.

Also, I have a factory roof rack, but it doesn't have cross bars. I saw some on ebay, but I don't see how they would attach to the existing rack.

THANKS,
Bo

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's a 2 WD. Difficult to say where the sound is. Sounds like it's under the bed between the bed and cab.

The squeak can be from one of a few sources:

(a) The bed cover, if any. These develop a rattle/squeak over time. I have a 2004 with a noisy cover.

(b) The tailgate. Apply some waterproof lithium grease and lube the mount rods and closing points (i.e., the metal nubs where it holds when closed).

(c) Sway bar. Check the bushings on the end links and where it mounts to the axle, and apply waterproof lithium grease if necessary.

(d) Rear shocks. Check the bushings on the same, and apply waterproof lithium grease if necessary.

Greasing the sway bar and shock mounts will be a little difficult because you must uninstall the bolts to access the bushings. If you can live with it, it is best done when you're under there for some other reason, like changing out the OEM shocks. But, if you decide to give it a try, drop the spare tire and pull it out so you have plenty of room in which to work.

Adam is 110% correct selection (B) is your problem. I grease mine all the time get rid of the annoying squeek.

Chad

THANKS Adam and Chad; it was indeed, the tail gate latches. Although I looked quite weird in the bed of the truck jumping up and down trying to recreate the problem. When I couldn't get it to squeek by jumping, I closed the tail gate, and there it was! I'd post a pic, but I guess you have to be an Elite member. It's still posted on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=130108081903
Gotta get those front windows tinted next....

Bo:

Sweet rims!

BOANDJILL, nice Trac,have one just like it. Just put chrome nerf bars on and painted the grey plastic,black. It really made a big difference.

cgriffin was right & wrong. he was right for his model explorer, but for 01+ sport and the ST the cross bars clamp on to your roof rails. They were a dealer installed option. So you can order them from a dealer or Thule makes them, maybe others? I to have been searching ebay for them and I am still watching.

Back