" Stage 2 " Intake 04-05 | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

" Stage 2 " Intake 04-05

I'm pretty sure the elbows come with their own allen key clamps. You use one to join the tubes and turf one 'cause you dont need it (coupler and reducer both have clamps) Thats if youre using the spectre bits.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

excellent! cant wait to get the stuff....just found this about 3 hours ago, gonna order now and start the Stage 1 Mod. YIPPEE!

Just FYI for the 4.6L V8 guys looks like nearly the exact same parts list for the '04-05 V8 as well. If your truck has the integrated MAF on the Air box housing, the parts list looks dead on.

I will find out later today. I am headed to get the parts when I go get the kids from school.

I will do this this afternoon & report back with pics.

oh, K&N panel in the OE airbox is assumed. LOL... Anyone know does Ford put an silencer under the airbox or in the inner fender? I know the funky growth on the intake tube is a silencer, wondered if there is one in the inner fender?

Rob

atleast for the 4.0 application, the silencer tube is sticking out of the airbox right behind the headlight. its about 6''-7'' long...

just give it a little tug and it will come out...

thanks Danny... Stupid Autozone... carries the tubes, no couplers, no fittings, LOL... ok...I can buy pipes, but have no way to connect them!??

I'm just doing it all on ebay... the price is the same, save local taxes. If my local shops are so lost they cannot grasp making it a workable SYSTEM screw them.

V8 application looks like identical set up. will report this weekend.

On the '04-05 V8 there is a hard plastic vacuum/PCV tube from the elbow to the TB spacer instead of to the Cam cover. But essentially the same thing. Roughly 3/4" hole... 90 degree's parallel to the cam cover. quick drill into the 226 elbow & use a gromet to seal the fitting. Or RTV.

Pics as I go this weekend.

Rob

$25 for the spectre parts off ebay & then I ordered the 3" str8 & 3.5" to 3" reducer in Matching red from another vendor...

total I have $40 which would have been almost $60 from Autozone locally or online including tax... it will all be here friday... I'm good..

I just have little patience for retailers who offer "some" of the parts... but don't offer the other required items to complete the project. Its just Daft in my eyes... why bother to have the Spectre ABS/Chrome 90^ & 22^ elbows and NOT the REQUIRED clamps/couplers? Why offer 3" pipes of any configuration & not offer the 3" couplers/reducers?

I was a LIVE, CASH carrying customer!... WTF!? I don't expect them to carry the entire catalog... but for the love of Zues... if I can buy 2 of 5 parts I need... at least round out the buying experience and complete my transaction!

Rob

ok.... all the parts are here & confirmed the same exact parts list WILL work for the 4.6L V8!!

YEAH!

Now I just need the weather in Dallas to cooperate & get above freezing... heck I may go ahead and do it this afternoon anyway. Pics to follow.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Rob

Heat wave today in Dallas, 41^ sunshine. got some work done:

The only differences on the 4.6L V8 are:

** that either the 90^ bend or the 22^ bend could actually stand to be about 1/2" longer or if you could find a longer 3" to 3.5" coupler. Its a lil bit of a stretch on the air box mounts.

** there is a 30" long, hard plastic line for the PCV return over to the driver's cam cover. It was putting odd pressure on the nipple in the side if the new intake ducting. so I replaced it with 5/8" heater/PCV hose and tucked it down under all the other stuff on the top of the engine.

edit: you can also see my Pro-Comp Striker Coils (MSD copies for 1/3 the $$) up next E-Fan, Lightning Water pump, eventually JBA Headers & either the Typoon or Trick Flow intake manifold.

Rob

that looks great !!!!

how much did you open up the bottom of the airbox ?

whats your take on the mod before and after, since your the first V8 member I knwo of to do this !!

Came up a treat mate, red looks sweet!

thanks all...

Danny... I haven't modded the air box yet.

Seat-O-pant's Meter says throttle tip in/response seems better. Definitely a tad throatier in sound.

I didn't have a chance to hit the highway to see about lane-change response, which has been a complaint I have had since the truck was new. It seemed choked off at speed passing/changing lanes.

I am ordering an upper plenum/elbow today. I found a killer deal on a set of Trick Flow Cam Covers in Black. So, Red/Black/OE Pearl white will be the engine Decor-theme... I'm all about making it look right & also function.

Lynchy, the Red was because of the Coils. I absolutely DESPISE Accell Ignition products so they were out. I refuse to pay MSD's rape prices when their stuff is made overseas anyway. Pro-Comp & APS are doing their own Red Striker Coil knock-offs of the MSD's

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

hmmmm $360/set vs $125/set... Striker's have a faster dwell & higher overall voltage. I have been happy.

Anyway... I am doing things I hope to improve economy & performance equally. all the intake mods first, along with the ignition. Then Exhaust... which I have to be VERY careful with. No new noise for Momma-Sita's Ride... She HATED my MAC cat back in my '01 5.0L Mountaineer. So I am thinking custom H-pipe/X-pipe into a Magnaflow dual-2.5" in/single-3" out muffler then a custom tailpipe. Free flow, but QUIET. Just a touch of tone.

I guess I will start a build log. I've plowed nearly $1,000 into the truck this week. that includes tires. First time I have had to spend any real $$ on the truck in nearly 170K miles.

Rob

that looks great !!!!

how much did you open up the bottom of the airbox ?

whats your take on the mod before and after, since your the first V8 member I knwo of to do this !!

Aren't you building a heat shield for your Ex's airbox? I was wondering if there are any updates for that project.

ha nate, ive procrastinated that idea for so long... as i do with alot of things lol

i just went to pepboys tonight and got every part but ONE to complete this mod! i have everything but the 3.5" to 3" coupler, which i had them order for me, so once i get that in, this stuff is going under the hood, and i am SO excited for it! I will let you all know what the butt dyno says!

i just went to pepboys tonight and got every part but ONE to complete this mod! i have everything but the 3.5" to 3" coupler, which i had them order for me, so once i get that in, this stuff is going under the hood, and i am SO excited for it! I will let you all know what the butt dyno says!

I know how that goes, missing one part.
Post some pics up when you're done.

I know how that goes, missing one part.
Post some pics up when you're done.

i know man, i was like are you serious! but it should be here in a couple days so when i get it up i will post pics, what is the part # for the spectre MAFS housing? i saw one tonight and thought about getting it but i didnt want to get the wrong one

what is the part # for the spectre MAFS housing? i saw one tonight and thought about getting it but i didnt want to get the wrong one

The part number is: 9405, mafs adapter, 36$ CLICK HERE

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back