Strange Rubbing/Vibration when turning...... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Strange Rubbing/Vibration when turning......

Cgy04XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary,Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLT
I have an 2004 Explorer XLT Auto with the auto 4wd. I have had some problems in the past with the front wheel bearings and had the driver side replaced and thought it would solve this problem I am having now. Let me break it down and maybe someone might know the solution before I have to throw a bunch of money at it to figure it out. Here are the issues....

1. When turning (either slightly or hard) from a stop there is a rubbing, almost like it is in 4x4 High. It doesn't bind like a regular 4x4 would but you can feel it in the wheel and on the pedal. this ONLY happens after the vehicle has been driven for a short period of time, it doesn't do it when it is cold.

2. I have noticed that when this problem occurs and straighten out the steering wheel and apply the brakes, then release them, you can feel like the ABS is on slightly, almost like the caliper is sticking. I thought it might be the caliper but if that was the case it should do it weather it is cold or warm ( So I think :D )

Any thought would be appreciated, I really would like to go at this with some sort of knowledge as most dealers would bend me over if I went in with this problem.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have a mountaineer AWD. i know its slighty different than 4WD. but people tell me its normal

If you heard this you would know for sure it is not normal. The guy I work with has an 03 XLT and I have driven it a few times to compare and his is quiet and not a noise at all. So I know it is not a normal noise! :D

Thanks brother!!!! I knew that it had to be something simple!!!!:D

Everyone here has helped me so much, happy to give something back. If you are planning on buying the parts, TASCA ford parts in Rhode Island has the cheapest parts in America, but it looks like you're in Canada. Not sure if TASCA can ship to Calgary, or how much it would cost.

Everyone here has helped me so much, happy to give something back. If you are planning on buying the parts, TASCA ford parts in Rhode Island has the cheapest parts in America, but it looks like you're in Canada. Not sure if TASCA can ship to Calgary, or how much it would cost.

I shouldn't have to worry to much about price as I purchased an extended warranty with the truck and it is covered so I am all good.

Thanks again for the help!

where can i find the limited slip clutch pack and how much do they normally run?

i changed my oil with 75w-140 and fric modififer and the noise went away for about 2 days and now its back????? what do you guys think. the fluid was full synt. should i do it again? or how hard is it to change the rear end clutch?

i changed my oil with 75w-140 and fric modififer and the noise went away for about 2 days and now its back????? what do you guys think. the fluid was full synt. should i do it again? or how hard is it to change the rear end clutch?

If you are having the symtoms that I have then you need to replace the clutch packs. I would do it myself but have not torn apart an IRS type suspension and would rather not break and screw something up the first time trying :D I am taking it to a mechanic and have it repaired under warranty.(thank god I got that) But if your into DIY then try ebay for the parts or your local parts store.

where can i find the limited slip clutch pack and how much do they normally run?

Go to Tasca Ford Parts

Scroll down and look on the left hand side for Search by Factory Part Number.
Enter the following in part number:
3L1Z-4947-BC
Select Mercury from the drop down.

3L1Z4947BC $146.65MSRP $0.00CORE $96.79TASCA PRICE

First, make sure you have 8.8" limited slip, second call the phone number on their website, give them your VIN and tell them you're looking for the clutch pack kit. Do not let them sell you any part number except 3L1Z4947BC or 3L1Z4947AB. If they give you another number, ask if it supersedes the part numbers above. I'm pretty sure the BC is the part number you need. Good luck.

I feel like TASCA owes me some kind of commission.

is it something anyone can install or is it kinda hard?

i know it says about 5 hours. but do you think its something just an average person can do or do you think taking it someone would be better?

i know it says about 5 hours. but do you think its something just an average person can do or do you think taking it someone would be better?

Tried to search for a how-to and I couldn't find it. Sorry.

Back