Subs in rear doors (or on a sport) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Subs in rear doors (or on a sport)

karl_burns

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Winston Salem, NC - Go Deacs!
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport OHV 5speed
I was wondering if anyone has put eight or ten inch subs in the rear doors, or in the walls next to the second row in an Explorer Sport. I am interested in hearing reviews of this idea. I've got a 1998 sport, and I reallly don't want to use up the trunk space with a box.

Thanks guys,
Karl Burns

Hi Karl,

Someone here has put 8s in his doors, I believe they were RFs that were shallow enough, up front, so I figure you could do it in the rear doors too. I hear those Deflex Power pads work really well in conjunction with them.

I have a sport, and I was thinking the same thing; I wanted to up them as far front on that plastic wall as possible, but there's not too much space there. I think if you tried to get a box back there it wouldn't work (with the limited space), and if you tried just mounting a woofer it might work, but not sure. On the driver side, there is lots of space, but on the passenger side, there is some cluster of stuff behind the panel, so I figured there wasn't enough room. I just reached in the speaker hole and felt around though. Perhaps, since there is quite a bit of room, you could make some sort of spacer that will allow the sub an extra inch or so above the panel. I think you'd have to do some heavy fabricating, cause with 8s, the large plastic panels will rattle a lot.

Jon

subs

Have you tried the Crutchfield web site? I think MTX makes a box to fit in the pouch area of the rear, I know they make one for 91-94.

Re: subs

Actually, I already have the Stealthbox in place of the rear passenger cargo net area.

Anyone got some ideas?

Karl

Back