The 2011 explorer | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The 2011 explorer

Thanks!

Yeah the funny thing is if this person were to drive one they would prob be much happier with it than they are with their current model. But because they have a preconceived notion of what a fwd vehicle drives like 15-20 (or more) years ago mind you... they can't grasp the fact that it might have improved...

I know exactly what a FWD vehicle drives like. Unfortunately, I'm forced to drive either a Taurus or an Impala at work. I've driven many fwd cars and I don't like them. I don't like the way they drive, handle, or feel. I don't like the goofy proportions of a FWD car design. I also don't like the sideways engine ('66 Toronado, early 70's and 80's GM's, some Acura's, Saabs, and Chrysler LH cars that had longitudinal engines don't count becuase they're still fwd and still have the same characteristics). I have never owned a FWD vehicle and I never will. FWD is not the future. FWD is not high-tech. FWD is not required to make a vehicle profitable.

It's kind of like someone saying (today) well I'm not gonna buy a cell phone because the ones 15 years ago were HUGE... And you can't fit them in your pocket...

That's just about the silliest comparison I've ever heard. If I could afford a new vehicle to replace my Ex, I'd probably buy a Dodge Durango. It's got what "I" want. It's RWD with a real 4x4 system and a V-8. And I'm apparently not the only person who wants that or Dodge wouldn't be building them. My problem is that Ford no longer offers a vehicle that has what I and others who prefer RWD want in an SUV.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Please keep it civil folks..no personal attacks...

I drive a FWD everyday as my DD I won't deny its a nice driver. I think a lot of the dislike, at least for me, is the disappearance of good platforms to build off of. 3rd gen and esp. the new ex is just another one biting the dust. I know as well as anyone that Ford caters to the new car buyers, so really ain't a whole lot to be achieved by complaining (other than to just vent a little). But people make due I'm sure. I remember as a kid when Fuel Injection became big and everyone was worried that you wouldn't be able to modify it.

And I'm apparently not the only person who wants that or Dodge wouldn't be building them. My problem is that Ford no longer offers a vehicle that has what I and others who prefer RWD want in an SUV.
Just because Dodge is building them doesn't mean people want them. If they built vehicles that everyone wanted then why did they require a bailout to keep from going under? Remember they built other vehicles that didn't sell and are now history. Not saying that will happen with the Durango. I think it happens to be a fairly nice looking SUV, inside and out, but I wouldn't buy one. It's too bad that Ford no longer offers a vehicle that fits your needs. These things happen, but to keep crying about it every day is getting a bit tiresome. Too bad we don't have a thread just for 2011 Explorer owners.

I can't beleave how many people are complaning about the 2011 explorer not being able to go off road, when i bet 80 to 90 % never took there explorer off road anyway if they tHink going over snow balls is off road so hey 2011 explorer does the same. The reason people like suv's is to be able to go shopping with the whole family carry all the belongings and feel safe in driving in bad weather. So to those who thought back in the days thAT fuel injection cannot be modified something they did. Oh btw jeep cherokee they got unibody also. Again ford borrows no money gives us what they studied for years, was the explorer we have now remember they sold 400k explorer years ago last year they sold 40k dont you think they want to sell 400k+ again !!! Fact my dealrship in yonkerS NY smith cairns ford can't keep them in stock,he gets aboUt 10 per week and are all sold. So if your not happy by toyota, who needS a makeover nissan who needs a make over, honda who needs a make over,chyrsler who took our money gm who took our money and has given us jack s____t !! Ford keep up the good work that's why i own 20k of your share's that i bought at 4.00 in 2007!!!

Just because Dodge is building them doesn't mean people want them. If they built vehicles that everyone wanted then why did they require a bailout to keep from going under? Remember they built other vehicles that didn't sell and are now history. Not saying that will happen with the Durango. I think it happens to be a fairly nice looking SUV, inside and out, but I wouldn't buy one. It's too bad that Ford no longer offers a vehicle that fits your needs. These things happen, but to keep crying about it every day is getting a bit tiresome. Too bad we don't have a thread just for 2011 Explorer owners.

+1 being a loyal customer is what they want you to be. If they always build what you want, then good for you.......Being a loyalist when you have to compromise on you want to stay loyal, pathetic. Live a little and branch off to find what you are looking for in a car not in the manufacture.

Personally, I have owned 20+ vehicles. Never have I bought the same make and model before. I buy what looks the best, drives the best, and offers what I need at the time of purchase.

ENOUGH!! From both sides! Final warning! NO MORE FLAMING OR POKING AT OTHER MEMBERS!

Look. Some will like the new Explorer, some won't. That's fine. Those of you that don't like it have made your point (repeatedly)...move on to something more positive than complaining about it. If you really don't like it, send Ford a note so they hear the voice of one of their consumers. Bi*ching about it here won't do anything except cause friction. Those of you that do like it, please keep it constructive and don't get involved in a flame war. It's not tolerated on this site. Let it go.

For those on here that like second gen 5.0 AWD ex's, I may have one for sale in a couple of years. Mine never sees off road just goes really good in the snow! The new ex is starting to grow on me but my wife says it's not beefy enough. I just laugh and asked why we needed beefy. I have looked at the 4runner and like it alot. I will make a decision on what to get after I drive the two vehicles. I just can't handle only getting about 260 miles out of a tank of fuel! Not to mention that we do need a 3rd row from time to time with 2 boys and their friends.

For those on here that like second gen 5.0 AWD ex's, I may have one for sale in a couple of years. Mine never sees off road just goes really good in the snow! The new ex is starting to grow on me but my wife says it's not beefy enough. I just laugh and asked why we needed beefy. I have looked at the 4runner and like it alot. I will make a decision on what to get after I drive the two vehicles. I just can't handle only getting about 260 miles out of a tank of fuel! Not to mention that we do need a 3rd row from time to time with 2 boys and their friends.
I always liked the interior of the 4Runner. Unfortunately I never got a chance to drive one. Everytime I was at the dealership to get my Highlander serviced, the 'Runners' that were on the lot either had just come in and were not prepped yet or were sold. Usually there weren't any in stock at all, sold out. Too late now.;)

Hi guys, does anyone has any update in how fast ford is building the 2011 explorers. And how fast are they delivering them to the dealers ?

Got me. Mine took 2 weeks to get from Chicago to central PA after it was built.

But when did u order it i ordered mine 1/5/11 and they are telling me that the built date is 2/7 and the dealer should have it by 2/21 does that sound about right?

I didn't order mine per se. The dealer already had it on order when I located it through the X-Plan system, so I don't know exactly when it was built.

But when did u order it i ordered mine 1/5/11 and they are telling me that the built date is 2/7 and the dealer should have it by 2/21 does that sound about right?

I wish I had that incredibly short timeline. 1.5 months from ordered to delivery. I'm sitting on 5 months and counting but it's "supposed" to be here next week but I have this crazy feeling, something about a snowstorm of epic proportions, interfering with this. My build date is 2/4 and delivery of 2/7 being so close to Chicago but if the plant is shutdown tomorrow and possibly Thursday, my build will be pushed back to next week and won't be on a transport until the end of the week, so the end result is 2 more weeks. And yes, I'm a pessimist :)

I don't think they will close down 2morrw because of the b/o they have it's crazy being that most of the time the new year cars come out at least 6 month before the new year. And ford started late with this expl. Most people are going to have an 2012 by august it will be the same one anyway mybe a light fixture change but mostly the same. So i hope i get mine by the week of 2/21 or sooner

One thing I have noticed, is the only ones that are complaining about the new X are the Gen 1 and 2 owners! Why is that?

Same reason I think the new wrangler sucks. I love my 98. Thanks to it, I'll never care about how the explorer is offroad. I care that it hauls people and gear.

I want REAR-WHEEL-DRIVE and at least the option of a V-8 engine in a mid-size SUV. Ford no longer offers such a product.

You can buy my 08 if you hurry :D Never been offroad, once they went IRS I started calling it a car. I still love it, but I love the '11 more for my needs.

I don't think they will close down 2morrw because of the b/o they have it's crazy being that most of the time the new year cars come out at least 6 month before the new year. And ford started late with this expl. Most people are going to have an 2012 by august it will be the same one anyway mybe a light fixture change but mostly the same. So i hope i get mine by the week of 2/21 or sooner

They are closed today.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They are closed today.

And here I was praying for a non-Monday, non-Friday build date. It came out to be this Thursday but seeing how the plant is down today, it's logical to assume builds will be pushed back at least one day, maybe 2. That puts my build at either Friday or Monday. I think I'll take Monday if I had the choice.

Back