The 5R55E and the infamous 2-3 shift flare issue | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The 5R55E and the infamous 2-3 shift flare issue

I would hope to have Chris give an answer to that, he knows much more about the operations of the trans. Almost all symptoms end up being caused by control circuit issues, like fluid leaks, sticking valves, and poor operation of solenoids. All of that is the valve body, the other items away from the VB are the two accumulators and the rotating hard parts. That's why we keep harping on the VB kits. You have to change the gaskets to do that, Ford kits require special VB plates, and the solenoids are zero labor to change during the R&R of the VB.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would hope to have Chris give an answer to that, he knows much more about the operations of the trans. Almost all symptoms end up being caused by control circuit issues, like fluid leaks, sticking valves, and poor operation of solenoids. All of that is the valve body, the other items away from the VB are the two accumulators and the rotating hard parts. That's why we keep harping on the VB kits. You have to change the gaskets to do that, Ford kits require special VB plates, and the solenoids are zero labor to change during the R&R of the VB.

i plan on doing the gaskets again this week(i think i must have messed them up) no one here in small town iowa has the solenoids or VB kits or list them in the parts books for that matter, so i am kinda screwed for a quick fix this go around, i can live with the reverse issue for now. just thought since i have to tear it apart again i could look for something to cure it while in there.

thanks....

finally got it to the shop, took the VB back out and found it had blown the gasket out by the reverse servo. new gaskets installed and torqued to spec(the right spec this time, i goofed last time) also, i figured why i didn't have reverse when going from "d" back to "r" ....the dumd@ss that installed the trans screwed up the DTR sensor, they knocked the alignment tabs off so it wasn't moving correctly with the manual shaft.....aaargh. thanks for all your help.

everything back to "normal" ...all gears back except i still have the 2-3 flare. going to replace the DTR and adjust the bands next when the new sensor comes in. the valve body already had the updates, it has the blow off valve installed anyway. i guess if the band adjustment and new DTR don't take care of it i will get a new EPC. not really sure what to try now.

update on my 98 exp 2-3 flare fix job

ok, so on the first trip inside the 5r55e i changed the vb with one i got from tranzmissions in fla, and, i put in the ford upgrade which consisted of removing a spring valve and installing a valve in one of the bore, 207 as i recall. also, installed the new ford separator plate with the bonded gaskets. filled her up and off we go, running tip top FOR A WHILE, about 1 day. AFTER allowing it to fully warm up, about 30 minutes of driving,then it is back to where it was before i started the "fix"... slow hanging shift from 2-3 with about 1000 rpm flare, and, slow going into reverse and not completely staying in reverse. after reading some more post and advise from glacier and BB, i went back inside to "retorque " the 23 vb bolts.
While i was in there i also put in the new style d-rings on the reverse servo piston and also a new reverse servo gasket. OH, forgot to mention, prior to goin inside for a second time, i adjusted the intermediate band, "about" 1/4 turn IN (tighter). I test drove it with the band adjustment and there was a huge difference in the overall performance of the transmission, much better "drive" (meaning less slipping) than i had before the adjustment AND i did not notice the slipping i had, it didnt sound or feel as if it was slipping. the best way i can desribe the difference is to compare it to when your torque converted locks up.. you feel the "slip" go away and you can feel the positive drive connection in the gas pedal and the seat of your pants. so... it was slipping a little all the time.. . so, today i opened her up, removed the vb, installed the new d-rings, gaskets, and torqued all the screws with my brand new torque wrench from Harbor Freight,(special thanks to whomever posted the link to HF for the torque wrench, its not bad at all for 19.99). filled it up tonight and it doesnt seem to perform as well as it did the first time i installed the vb. this time however i torqued the three screws holding the sep plate to the same as the 23 screws, 97 in/lbs. the first time i did it i torqued them to 67 in /lb as per the ford tsb instructions. i also reworked the band adjust bolts(removed the rust) and adjusted both to the "factory" settings as posted on our forum, tighten to 120 in/lbs then od band 2 turns out, int band 2.5 turns out. drove it after all that and the flare was slightly improved. but i had the continual slipping that i previously had. so ... back in the garage one more time and tighten up the intermediate band 1/2 turn. test drive. much better, the slipping is gone and the flare is getting better but still nowhere as good as it was the first time i installed the new vb. being one that is NEVER satisfied.. i tightened up the intermediate band another 1/4 turn, so my final setting is now : tighten to 120 in/lbs, turn back 1 3/4 turns. test drive, seems "pretty good" but not what i would call PERFECT". it still flares a little above the normal of 250 but i'm hoping it will get better as i drive it a little. i will wait and see how the next few days goes and then post back. i have learned a few things or actually paid closer attention to a few things and these i hope will help other...
when you torque up the 23 bolts on a new set of gaskets, i would recommend torqueing them to your final setting(97 in/ls) then DO NOTHING until the next day. allow the gaskets to take a set THEN torque them again to 97... this way you will see the bolts actually take up the slack from the gasket compressing overnight... this would have kept me from having to do this all over again. another tip... if you have removed the valve body you can slide a small open end wrench up "around" the band adjustment bolt while you loosed the bolt. the steel block that the adjustment bolt pushes in and out has spring pressure on it from behind. if you do it CAREFULLY and choose the right wrench the spring pressure on the steel block will pinch the wrench and allow you to fully remove the bolt and the nut, this way to can properly clean off the rust from the bolt. if you dont get the nut on the bolt to move toward the square end of the bolt you will never get the proper adjustment on the bands. this method will prevent the steel block and other stuff from falling or flying out when you remove the bolt. just be careful , don't let any of your helpers bump the truck or the wrench could slide out and then you're in big trouble. what else can i add... oh yeah, never ever ever buy a transmission made in france, lets face it, ford buys them there because they are cheap, not because of how well they build transmissions and oh yes, i say this with having 30 years in metal cutting and manufacturing experience... its all about the profit, cost, then reduced warranty cost, then MAYBE long term reliability and performance. and i actually don't hate ford but it is what it is. and yes, I'm an engineer and there are good ones and bad ones, i have fixed or repaired a number of products in the past 30 years that were "built" to the engineering specs. it's like doctors, they're ALL practicing. as for many other parts, they just don't put them all thru the torture track like they show in the commercials on tv. ok back to the real data here...the d-rings for the reverse servo. BE CAREFUL putting them on. be careful that once you have them on they are not twisted. it is very difficult to see if they are twisted and a pain to get them back off. i have put on many rings and i almost missed it too. look real close to make sure they are sitting as they should. i never did find an actual "BLOWN" gasket or section on either the separator plate or the reverse servo gasket. i have to assume that much of my 2-3 flare was a combination of leakage and the slipping of the intermediate band. i'll bet that had i adjusted the int band first i would not have gone any further. the adjustment would not have fixed the "slow going and staying in reverse problem", but the flare was my bigger concern anyway.. ok, now i'm really finished, thanks for reading and i hope some of this will help others. kjgces.

ERIKM, read my post, i think you will benefit from what i saw and learned, adjust eh intermediate band before you do anything, i think you'll be surprised at the difference it will make.

Good stuff, thanks. I had adjusted my bands when I first did my VB kit. I later got back into it to change a couple of shift solenoids and do a VB o-ring kit. I wanted to change the external accumulators and again adjust the bands, but didn't have the tool then. I skipped the bands then thinking I'd go back to do the accumulators later. That was almost 30k ago, I need to do that. Mine shifts okay as it always has but I don't like soft shifting, and the firmer the better.

still running "pretty good" after a few days. i think my trans is as good as could be expected for 162k miles. the shifts are pretty good, a little delayed when cold, but, shifts "almost" perfectly once warmed up.. i hope it stays this way. thanks all for all the info, kjgces.

ERIKM, read my post, i think you will benefit from what i saw and learned, adjust eh intermediate band before you do anything, i think you'll be surprised at the difference it will make.

thanks kj, i will do that this weekend when i get back to the shop. i replaced the screwed up DTR last night and it cured the weird reverse issue. i have never encountered such a finicky transmission before, one would think with all the years ford has used this POS they could get it right by now.

i am thinking i will still get a different EPC when i get the $$ for it, i have to fix the drain plug i installed anyway...leaks of course...i have had the pan off so many times in the last month, i think i could do in my sleep..lol

agreed, i never thought i would need a drain plug but IF i go in there again i will install one. it just makes perfect sense, especially if you are going to change the fluid, duh, i can't see where a drain plug would be SO expensive for the builders to put in the pans. by the way, a little late with this but, i saw ford sold the Bordeaux , France plant whre these tran were made. i shed a little tear over that. no not really....

erikm, after all was said and done, my intermediate band is now at 1 3/4 turns out form the torque setting and the flare is much better, i would think, almost perfect. dont be afraid to adjust it to the spec and then tighten it up a 1/4 turn and try it, that is what i did and you will feel the difference right away, dont go MORE than you need or i'm sure the band will start to drag and make a lot of heat... mine is running very good after a few days no with no dragging or heating problems, so i guess it is fine. kjgces.

erikm, after all was said and done, my intermediate band is now at 1 3/4 turns out form the torque setting and the flare is much better, i would think, almost perfect. dont be afraid to adjust it to the spec and then tighten it up a 1/4 turn and try it, that is what i did and you will feel the difference right away, dont go MORE than you need or i'm sure the band will start to drag and make a lot of heat... mine is running very good after a few days no with no dragging or heating problems, so i guess it is fine. kjgces.

i installed the new DTR and adjusted the intermediate band as you suggested. reverse is now normal. the 2-3 flare was better at first but not good, after about a week of driving it seems all is good. i will give it a good test this weekend on an out of town trip and see how it does.

thanks for every ones help, you guys are awesome.;):thumbsup:

update, still having 2-3 flare and now reverse is getting worse. hte problems are both much worse when the trans is cold but improve "slightly" when fully warmed up. i could scream about this thing, it stinks. is anyone else having the reverse get worse after the vb rebuild? it was very good on the first vb install, then it got bad, i opened it up, cleaned everything and reinstalled the vb with a new revese servo gasket. bought the new torque wrench and torqued everything to proper specs. it now is worse than it was when i started this whole adventure. any suggestions on what i might be missing? i know thi sis an open question , but , what else could be wrong, i'm using all the correct parts, the bands are good, the clutches all hold and drive good but the delay into 3rd gear is getting worse, a real pain when it is cold. i'll open it again if necessary but wanted to hear your suggestions first. here is my idea... isaw pictures of severely worn servo bores on another website. do you think that by adjusting the bands up tight the stroke of the servo is causing the "timing" of the servos to be off. i would think the controller fires the solenoid to drive the servo, it is a simple on/off switch. once the solenoid is turned on, the piston moves forward to collapse the int band around the drum, stopping it swiftly before the rpms flare up. if the stroke of the servo is changing the time delay in activating the band the controller wont see it and will try to use the original timing sequence. of course this could all be wrong but the timing and time to stroke of the int servo is the heart of the problem. if the band adjustment shortens the time rather than the grip of the band it might screw up the controllers brain. any ideas, this is now an obsession. thanks, kevin.

fyi all... i have had enough of this nonsense... i ordered a rebuild trans today.. valve body, gaskets, piston, servo covers..etc etc, too tight, to loose, not enough this, not enough that, all the traits of a truly POOR design. if i had ordered the trans in the first place i would have saved time and possibly some money. i am not a trans expert but i am an engineer that has worked with numerous machinery and cars over the years, this trans problem is rediculous, and i aint goin to deal with it anymore. i have 163k miles on the unit and along with the other problems, i'm sure the friction parts are probably ready to fail along with something else sooooo... i have my replacement unit on the way...wish me luck. anyone want a used 5r55e that slips in 2-3 shift, slow going into reverse, but HAS the Ford UPDATES! no.. i didn't think so...these things should have been recalled LONG AGO!!!!

dif sencer?

hey i read somewhere else about the speed censer in the rear dif gets all gunky and cannot communicate with the puter. I removed mine and yes it was gunky. cleaned it off and not my trans has been behaving:cool: . something to check seemed my fluid was low so the censer was not getting a proper wash of oil ....

i have a 97 explorer with with 2-3rd flair and a rod knock from hell in the motor i just picked up a 96 with reverse only i was going to replace the epc from the 97 tranny and throw it in the 96 cause its a 2 door what issues am i going to come across while changing these out? just ecu? or not possible?
index22.gif

fyi all... i have had enough of this nonsense... i ordered a rebuild trans today.. valve body, gaskets, piston, servo covers..etc etc, too tight, to loose, not enough this, not enough that, all the traits of a truly POOR design. if i had ordered the trans in the first place i would have saved time and possibly some money. i am not a trans expert but i am an engineer that has worked with numerous machinery and cars over the years, this trans problem is rediculous, and i aint goin to deal with it anymore. i have 163k miles on the unit and along with the other problems, i'm sure the friction parts are probably ready to fail along with something else sooooo... i have my replacement unit on the way...wish me luck. anyone want a used 5r55e that slips in 2-3 shift, slow going into reverse, but HAS the Ford UPDATES! no.. i didn't think so...these things should have been recalled LONG AGO!!!!

Where did you order from and how much if you dont mind my asking..

ebay transmission

hi, i won an auction ebay for 500 plus 200 for "related parts" but the guy scammed me and i lost 900 in the deal, no protection from paypal and none from ebay so i'm out 900. the guy has been removed from ebay but i found AFTER the fact that this guy has a long history of scams in florida related to three or four transmission shops. a while ago i heard about something with the laws in florida being different from the other states which contributes to a high number of scam artists being based in florida. i have registered complaints with fla and the fbi but no money so far,, by the wat, i'm still fighting the flare problem and now reverse is not working either, but i did find out that i have about half of the normal oil pressure in all gears and shifter positions, it looks like the "rebuilt valve bodies" may be nothing more than a cleaned body. i'm learning a lot about transmissions and about the bad "habits of many trans shops. today i'm putting in a filter for the trans, external and going to put in a new transfilter(screen) and a new (new in the box) epc, we'll see how that works, all in all, my installations have worked but the large amount of fines and dirt in the trans is clogging up the vb every time i install it. it works great for a day or two then goes back to the same old problems, but usually with a few little things different. oh well, out to the garage AGAIN on my day off. kjgces.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry to hear about that, criminals are everywhere.

For the trans, get a filter on the return line to the trans, not the radiator inlet side. The OEM extra cooler is always on the return side.

It sounds like you have debris in the radiator and cooler/lines. The VB is where the debris messes up things, it affects the functioning.

You likely should remove the VB and make sure that any and all updates are in it. I would carefully clean the valves as best as possible, which is a huge task. Take your time and don't begin without complete diagrams(manual). Regards,

Back