The 5R55E and the infamous 2-3 shift flare issue | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The 5R55E and the infamous 2-3 shift flare issue

by the way, does anyone know what the "normal" rise in rpm should be in the 2-3 gear shift, as far as i can tell from other posts there WILL be a rise in rpm but it should be minimal, thanks, kjgces.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The very first post in this thread graphs the shift on a chart with RPM as the vertical axis.

To save you the time of reading, it is about 250 RPM of flare.

thanks for info

Glacier, i saw the graph but wanted to be sure it was for the "normal" operation. also, a big thanks for all your posts on this subject, they became my "manual" as i went thru the job, excellent contributions by you and others as well. now i am sure my job came out correctly, thanks again, kjgces.

5R55e shift flare

This site is great!

I just took my 1999 Explorer into the dealer for a flare between shifts. I thought it was happening between 1-2 but sound like 2-3 is the common problem.

They called and said they would rebuild the VB for 750.00 and get back with me. I asked to have the EPC replaced while it was apart anyway.

Hopefully this fixes it. If not the whole trans rebuild cost is 2100.00

BB...
Thanks for the info. Wow! the VB doesn't cost much at all. I'm kinda stuck on this one as I'm recup from surgery and can't do much work in the garage. I really wanted to learn on this trans...I sure hope they don't take me to the cleaners.

I do have a 1997 ranger with a 2.3 liter that is slipping pretty bad. It sounds like it is a very similar trans to the 5r55e. Hopefully I can work on this one myself.

problem fixed?...

Well I just heard from the dealer and they said the VB gasket was bad. Of course thier still going to rebuild it and they said the EPC solenoid was ok so suggested I not replace it unless I want to give them another 130.00.

Hopefully this fixes the problem.

Wow, you got had. The valve body parts that they will use are under $50, and they will not include the shift improvement that this thread recommends. The EPC needs to be changed at any time there are significant miles, say over 75k. They wear out, they may test as good but they wear out slowly over time. The cost is high at about $110, but that is excellent maintenance cost.

The valve body can be bought completely rebuilt and tested by aftermarket companies for not much over $200. The best kit parts recommended here are under $100 total. So you could have under $300 in the needed parts without your labor or the EPC.

That $750 or whatever they quoted you, that's over $500 profit for them. You end up with a trans that doesn't have the recommended improvements, or a new EPC. Times are hard, spend your money wisely.

Stay tuned, this might be a fun ride guys. More to come...really exciting stuff.

Glacier

Any more on the "Exciting stuff"? Waiting on pins and needles. ;-)

Any more on the "Exciting stuff"? Waiting on pins and needles. ;-)

The "exciting stuff" was a test bed project by Borg Warner using site members. That is old, done and gone.

The "exciting stuff" was a test bed project by Borg Warner using site members. That is old, done and gone.

Does BW sell the new design now? My test EPC works great, but I'm not putting a lot of miles on my Explorer these days.

Wow

what a shame!!:( U could have done a better job and still had enough money for a new set of tires!! or a really cool flip up 7" monitor cd player if u had done it yourself. I decided to get the cd player!!!!:D

do these fixes also apply to the 4R55E? mine was rebuilt about 6 months ago and has had the 2-3 flare and intermittent no reverse since day one (can't take it back as company is out of business(phoenix hard parts in AZ) ) aaaargh!

do these fixes also apply to the 4R55E? mine was rebuilt about 6 months ago and has had the 2-3 flare and intermittent no reverse since day one (can't take it back as company is out of business(phoenix hard parts in AZ) ) aaaargh!

Yes, basically all of the kits/parts go in the 4R or 5R55E.

I have a 97 explorer sport, and my transmission is having some issues in D, in 1 or 2 its fine but most of the time in D I hit a point where my engine over revs and the tranny never completes the shift. the problem started happening after hitting the trails with a friend and crusing through some pretty deep mud/water. Also after letting the car sit for a few hours the transmission fluid on the dipstick appears to have almost doubled. Could this be my problem?

Yes, basically all of the kits/parts go in the 4R or 5R55E.

i replaced the plate and gaskets last night, OE ford parts. checked the bolt torque 3 time before finishing it up....i now have no forward gears when in OD, man2 and man1 seem to work ok, reverse is still jacked up. i checked the fluid when i got home from the shop and it is full and not burnt.

The valve body is the main item that needs modification, the plate and gaskets are easy stuff to do. Do it right and install a VB kit, and EPC solenoid if you have any mileage to speak of.

2002 work report

Alrighty folks. I have a 2002 Explorer Sport with the 2-3 flare problem, Yes, a 2002!

So, read the thread etc. In digging into the valve body, the VB already had the Ford TSB kit modifications, and the bonded sep plate had no damage. So, by 2002, Ford had made the VB changes.

Since I had the parts already, I put them in.

I ALSO replaced the EPC solenoid, which I wager was the source of MY problem.

So, I think that if you have a 2002 with the 2-3 flare, it's probably the EPC, and not the VB. BUT, I spent another $40 or so for the sep plate and the FORD TCB kit, so it was not too bad for the extra precautions. The Ford kit though, was not necessary since the 2002 VB had those items already in it (and the other items were removed as recommended by the Ford kit instructions).

Best advice from the thread: make a cardboard template using the new bonded separator plate. Draw the outline and the bolt holes on the cardboard. Use a utility knife to poke holes into the cardboard. When you remove a bolt, poke it into the cardboard. So simple, and SO EASY!!!!!

So, all in the all, WHAT A GREAT PLACE FOR INFO!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The valve body is the main item that needs modification, the plate and gaskets are easy stuff to do. Do it right and install a VB kit, and EPC solenoid if you have any mileage to speak of.

this will fix the 2-3 flare, but what about no reverse when going from "D" back into reverse? i looked thru all the threads i could find on rangerstation, ford-trucks, and here and see no mention of this problem. it is really confusing to me as reverse is all mechanical/hydraulic. i didn't see anything in the ford manual that addresses this weird situation either....

Back