The area with the ignition switch on the steering column feels hot. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The area with the ignition switch on the steering column feels hot.

HotWheelsAS

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Aerostar
Hey everyone,

My question is regarding the ignition switch (possibly) on my 92 Aerostar 3.0. After getting in the van and making a few stops, I noticed that the metal around the ignition switch feels hot. The weird thing is though that it only seems to be hot after the van is off and there is no key in it, i.e., after its started up and I'm driving around the switch feels cooler.

Now, I live in south Louisiana, and it's the middle of July. I know it's going to get hot in the van when it sits. But, I could swear on a stack of Bibles that the switch feels hotter than everything else when I get back in the van.

I know there is a recall on the switch. I took it to the dealer earlier this year; the paperwork I have says "installed F89Z 14A411 BB :WIRE ASY" Recall 99S02. I think they just put in a relay harness so that switch shouldn't overheat. Is it possible that something could still be wrong with the switch and overheat or am I just crazy?

Thanks

Back