95 Aerostar ignition switch replacement. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95 Aerostar ignition switch replacement.

My ignition cylinder popped apart when I closed the door of the van as I was leaving a job! :eek: The front piece which turns when you turn the key completely broke off. I could still turn the cylinder with the key, but the cylinder sticks, and has to be turned manually back from the crank position to the run position.

My ignition switch is also acting up. A lot of times when I turn the key, the starter won't crank unless I play with the ignition key. It has to be turned on & off. I saw cylinders & switches going pretty cheap on EBay. It might be worth getting these parts before I get stuck, and can't start it.

I paid $16.00 for an ignition switch from car craft. If you can turn the key replace it now before it's a major break Down to replace it. 5 minuet job. When you get the switch do not turn the key in the lock it's pre set. My 94 had a whole in the plastic cover on the right side between both screw holes. I used a 6"+ Allen wrench around 1/32 put the old key in run take wrench and push straight up and lock falls out. You will see the plastic cross on the new switch and the cross hole on the column . Match and push in while pushing on wrench it will pop in and done.
If you don't have that hole,the bottom cover comes off that's 30 min.
I just did mine last month there was a black lube inside the key hole I didn't add or remove the goop. This was the fastest repair I have done on the areo bomber since I bought it.

My ignition cylinder popped apart when I closed the door of the van as I was leaving a job! :eek: The front piece which turns when you turn the key completely broke off. I could still turn the cylinder with the key, but the cylinder sticks, and has to be turned manually back from the crank position to the run position.

My ignition switch is also acting up. A lot of times when I turn the key, the starter won't crank unless I play with the ignition key. It has to be turned on & off. I saw cylinders & switches going pretty cheap on EBay. It might be worth getting these parts before I get stuck, and can't start it.
What profession is your work? I'd fix the ignition while it is still an easy job.

Back