• Register Today It's free!

The Explorer Restoration Project

ThinkPol

Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Ex Sport
Howdy folks. I've been using these boards for a while to find information about my well-used Ex, but haven't gotten involved in posting. This 2000 Explorer Sport (160k miles) is/was my first car, bought it from my dad, and have been driving it for about 9 years. Being that this was my vehicle during my dumb teenage years (for some reason I could not help myself with the powerbrake burnouts) the car ended up with a new transmission at about 60k miles.
I'd like to replace the Ex with something else as a daily driver, because I really don't like dumping so much gas money into it (although this is what my Kawasaki Ninja 500 is for: 55 MPG!), and rarely need the extra space it affords me, but for now my funding situation won't allow me to purchase another whip!

And so the Explorer Restoration Project is born:
  • New brighter headlamps (they have never been replaced)
  • Leaf pack from a 4-door to fix the dreaded sag
  • Replace all shocks 4+1. Monroe Sensa-Trac? My ride quality has been poor for a good while now.
  • Warrior 153 Shackle. May/may not go for these depending on how the other suspension upgrades treat me. Shackles are looking rough though from years of salt slurry on roads in Boone, might replace anyway, but I'm not particularly interested in lift, so I might get some stockers.
  • Repair driver's side window mechanism. Tried to roll the window down, but window was frozen into place, so the track that holds the window came disconnected from the window itself. It has been a long hard road trying to get this problem fixed. Can't find the right glue!
  • Replace all scratched tints (will probably put this one off for a while. Cosmetic issues are not my main concern, or I would have a lot of body work to do! lol)
  • LED taillight bulbs
  • Fuel filter replacement. I just bought one but will install it when my air filter comes in
  • K&N Air filter has been ordered. We will see how this affects my fuel economy.

And I'll be able to do a lot of these things myself because of EF!
Take care!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome!

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like a good grocery list of parts. Might be easier to replace the window regulator than try and fix it. Good luck with the work and post pictures of the progress!

Back