Third time is the charm for 4X4 push button. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Third time is the charm for 4X4 push button.

kslhol

Reaction score
City, State
Taber ,Alberta,Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 xl
I have done the searches and such, and can't find a solution that fits my problem.
I have a 93xl 4.0l that has real difficulties going into four wheel drive. It seems to only go in after the button has been pushed three times. It goes out of four wheel drive after the first push, no problem.

Any ideas? Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine needed a new shift motor, because the plastic piece that grabs the selector cam would not grip properly. Replaced the shift motor and voila, no more problems. While I was at it I also replaced the selector button, just to be on the safe side and know that it was taken care of. From what you are saying(needing to push the button three times for it to engage), it sounds like your shift motor needs to rebuilt or replaced. Do a search for shift motor rebuild, you will find everything you need to know about fixing it. You could also just buy a new one and replace the old one alltogetgher. You can get them on Ebay for about $120 shipped to your door. Hope this helps.

Keep the bottom side down

Do a search for rebuilding the shift motor. This will be FREE or maybe a couple bucks if you dont have any of the right size hose laying around.

Both of my Explorers have been on the second push since I've owned them. Every once in a while it will go on the first push. It's kind of funny, but I get excited when it does go in with one push. I have noticed that when it did go in on the first push it was when I have held the button a little longer.

My 4x4 light is very dimly on, does this mean I am in 4 wheel drive? The button feels kind of mashed in. I have no use for 4x4 right now, but just want to make sure I am not wasting gas or hurting the X.

Thanks all those more knowledgable than me...

Joseph

Back