Timing Chain Pictures!?! | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Timing Chain Pictures!?!

balance shaft tensioners

Had a question. I saw where you can replace the balance shaft tensioner without pulling the motor but had to drop the axle to remove the upper oil pan. Can the upper oil pan be removed with out having to re time the engine? The only broken tensioner I have is the one on the bottom of the balance shaft.
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

balance shaft tensioner

Had a question. I saw where you can replace the balance shaft tensioner without pulling the motor but had to drop the axle to remove the upper oil pan. Can the upper oil pan be removed with out having to re time the engine? The only broken tensioner I have is the one on the bottom of the balance shaft.
Thanks

To replace the entire balance shaft tensioner it is necessary to remove the block cradle (upper oil pan) to gain access to the mounting bolts. However, some members have taken the tensioner apart and replaced just the spring assembly and guide avoiding the need to remove the block cradle.
BlncShft.jpg

The tranny might be in the way

I had a broken balance shaft tensioner when I rebuilt my SOHC. I couldn't even get my fingers in there to remove the broken spring tensioner. I found removing and installing the engine to be quite simple once you have obtained the required equipment. I will eventually have to replace my oil pump because I didn't replace it when I rebuilt the engine and the oil pump has developed a slight whine at Idle that bugs me. I won't hesitate to pull the engine to change it out. It sure beats the hell out of lying on your back for several hours plus theres so many bolts on the upper oil pan with some hidden torx bolts at the back near the rear main seal, so the tranny and the fly wheel might be in your way.

This is the best pic I have of the 4 bolts that will cause you problems because they're located behind the Flex Plate and transmission bellhousing. I recommend pulling the motor but if your keen enough maybe you can drop the tranny and remove the Flex Plate. The Torx bolts are kind of long and set into the middle of the upper oil pan, unfortunatly I don't have a good picture of them.

DSCF3175.jpg

balance chain tensioner

First I want to say thank you for the quick responses.
We did replace just the plastic/spring part of the balance tensioner, all beware it took us 1.5 hrs to get it in there without removing the craddle. Hindsight over the whole job pulling the motor may have been easier...lol
the engine runs alot quieter, still have some ticking noise....do the lifters tick in this engine? I still need to replace the rear tensioner though.
Agian thank you all for the help.
Great website!!

After I rebuilt my engine I had a ticking valve lash adjuster for about 50 miles.

Just to add a little.
Did not take engine out. Main tensioner broken as well as tensioner on balance shaft. Managed to get new balance shaft tensioner in without taking engine out. Took new spring off new base, notched the spring on the end that goes on the pin, bent old (still mounted) base down a little, installed new spring on old base (was not too easy, just be persistent), bent old base back into place. Did not take crank sprocket off either.

thanks for details!

Just to add a little.
Did not take engine out. Main tensioner broken as well as tensioner on balance shaft. Managed to get new balance shaft tensioner in without taking engine out. Took new spring off new base, notched the spring on the end that goes on the pin, bent old (still mounted) base down a little, installed new spring on old base (was not too easy, just be persistent), bent old base back into place. Did not take crank sprocket off either.

Did you accomplish this without loosening any bolts attaching the block girdle and just taking off the front timing cover? Other members have cut their balance shaft chain rather than go thru the hassle of removing the block girdle to replace the tensioner.

Did you accomplish this without loosening any bolts attaching the block girdle and just taking off the front timing cover? Other members have cut their balance shaft chain rather than go thru the hassle of removing the block girdle to replace the tensioner.

Did not take any bolts off of upper oil pan/block girdle. did not take crank to jack shaft chain off. just notched the new spring and ben the old tensioner base down and then back up again. Could not believe it worked!

I have a 2000 Ford Explorer 4.0 SOHC with 4wd. Recently the jackshaft tensioner and balance shaft tensioner broke. How do we remove the upper oil pan, its housing ot ladder frame?

Back