Tire recommendation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tire recommendation

Hey guys!!!
I have a 16 explorer limited. I was looking for a good set of all seasons tires and if there is any promotion going on. Right now I have Hankook and it has 20k miles on it. It already started to wear out.
I'm in brooklyn, NY
Thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey guys!!!
I have a 16 explorer limited. I was looking for a good set of all seasons tires and if there is any promotion going on. Right now I have Hankook and it has 20k miles on it. It already started to wear out.
I'm in brooklyn, NY
Thank you

Firstly, welcome to the forum!

Secondly, this forum has a search bar capability, use it and see what you find, it's super handy. It's a little finicky but usually yields good results.

Thirdly, I personally still have the factory Michelins (latitude tour hp a/s) which have 45k+ miles on them and just went through a pretty harsh northern winter easy peasy. I've seen Michelin defenders as a popular choice amongst a few 5th gen owners.

Fourthly, having said the third point, I really should've stuck some winter tires on there (I would highly recommend nokians, they're on my list for next winter) as there really is no substitute for a good winter tire. But that's really only if you get below -7C regularly.

Fifthly, a bit more info on what you're looking for in your tires and what size they need to be, would help to recommend you a set.

Sixthly, there may actually be a recall on your Hankooks. Check the stock 5th generation forum, there is a stickied thread which has a nice long list of just about every TSB, SSB, and recall there is for that generation.

Good luck!

Firstly, welcome to the forum!

Secondly, this forum has a search bar capability, use it and see what you find, it's super handy. It's a little finicky but usually yields good results.

Thirdly, I personally still have the factory Michelins (latitude tour hp a/s) which have 45k+ miles on them and just went through a pretty harsh northern winter easy peasy. I've seen Michelin defenders as a popular choice amongst a few 5th gen owners.

Fourthly, having said the third point, I really should've stuck some winter tires on there (I would highly recommend nokians, they're on my list for next winter) as there really is no substitute for a good winter tire. But that's really only if you get below -7C regularly.

Fifthly, a bit more info on what you're looking for in your tires and what size they need to be, would help to recommend you a set.

Sixthly, there may actually be a recall on your Hankooks. Check the stock 5th generation forum, there is a stickied thread which has a nice long list of just about every TSB, SSB, and recall there is for that generation.

Good luck!
Thank you for your help.
I tried searching but didn't came up with any good results.
Regarding your 6th point, is it possible that you can tag me in there? I found one thread that was 9 pages long but wasn't sure if that is the correct one

Thank you for your help.
I tried searching but didn't came up with any good results.
Regarding your 6th point, is it possible that you can tag me in there? I found one thread that was 9 pages long but wasn't sure if that is the correct one

You're welcome, although I haven't done much yet.

TSB/recall thread on forum - List of Useful Threads - TSB's, Recalls, Remote Start, How To Info

TSB/recall info - TSB's now available for public view

Thread on treadwear of Hankooks - Treadwear Issue with Ventus S1 Noble 2 Hankooks

First 2 threads were stickied and 3rd was 2 posts further down on 'stock' subforum of the 5th gen - Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion

Welcome to this forum! Where are you located in Brooklyn? Always check the treadwear rating on tires. It will tell you how dense the rubber is. Some cheap tires have a low rating, and won't last long. With all of the potholes that we have here, you need a tough tire. I try to avoid going to certain areas where I've always had shredded tires such as Williamsburg. There's always construction with metal plates over the floor. These plates have an edge like a razor blade, and if you rub your tire on it, it will rip it to pieces instantly. The potholes cause belt shift in the tire. That's when your tire wobbles from side to side, and you feel vibration as you drive.

Welcome to this forum! Where are you located in Brooklyn? Always check the treadwear rating on tires. It will tell you how dense the rubber is. Some cheap tires have a low rating, and won't last long. With all of the potholes that we have here, you need a tough tire. I try to avoid going to certain areas where I've always had shredded tires such as Williamsburg. There's always construction with metal plates over the floor. These plates have an edge like a razor blade, and if you rub your tire on it, it will rip it to pieces instantly. The potholes cause belt shift in the tire. That's when your tire wobbles from side to side, and you feel vibration as you drive.
I'm in midwood area. Most of my miles are highway miles with no path holes

Hello Maorex and welcome to the forum. I’ve learned a lot and gotten some great ideas here. I got a set of Continental XtremeContact DWS06 all season tires on about 3 weeks ago. I am very happy with them so far. There is noticable difference in handling and ride quality on dry road conditions and wet conditions. I feel alot more confident then I fid woth the Hankooks. There hasn’t been any snow or ice here in this part of MD since I got these but they are supposed to be good in ligjt snow. There are a lot of reviews on YouTube and elsewhere. Good luck in finding whats best for your Explorer.

D2BCAEE2-9059-4488-94A9-DFBD4C806ED4.jpeg

682EC6D3-D2B6-46B8-B641-8F55961C1C02.jpeg

By the way I forgot to mention I got my Continentals from Tire Rack they had the best price I could find and free delivery. They carry all the major brands and more . And the tires were delivered in two days.

Hey guys!!!
I'm in brooklyn, NY
Thank you
My factory Michelins have 70K on them. It's finally time to change. New Michelins again!

Nitto NT421Q

I ran them on the 08 Exploder and currently running them on the 2012 Expedition EL. Love these tires!!! Excellent wet weather traction and braking, excellent road manners, no road noise, no issues with them and got around 54k out of the set. Top 3 of best tires i have ever run.

NT421Q Premier All-Season Crossover & SUV Tire

Back