Torsion/Coilover Conversion | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torsion/Coilover Conversion

Chad I cannot remember.... which Hypercoils/how many lbs are you running?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

LOL. Can't keep up with my own thread...

Considering that, I may just stick with the 800 pounders. QA1's aren't gas charged and he's running 800 pounders plus 300 psi in his Foxes.

I just ordered to complete my front coilover conversion. Since I was fairly comfortable with the 800 lb coil even though it was a little stiff, I went ahead and ordered an identical one for the other side. That saved $$ by not having to waste the one I already bought and could not return.

I found out that QA1 makes a 1" extension for their shocks, so I ordered 2 of them along with another shock identical to the one I already have. This way I'll have the correct length shocks for a lot cheaper than dumping the $160 one I already have and replacing it with two new ones that are one inch longer.

A few notes on my mistakes. If I had no money to lose by already having ordered not-quite-the-right stuff, I think the ideal application for this mod would be to buy the QA1 shocks that are 15" extended, along with 12" long Hypercoils of 750 lb rating (or maybe 800 lbs like me if you have a heavy 4dr 4x4 setup and don't mind a trucklike ride). There are two caveats to this setup.

Firstly, be aware that a 12" length coil on that shock will need to be pressed slightly over an inch to insert on the shock, since it is longer than the shock. You'll need a press or a shop to press it down for you to get the coil on. If you have no access to a press then you'll have to settle for 10" length coils. If you look at Chad551's photos in post 51 of this thread, you'll note that his coil is way down the threads on his shock, and that's how mine will end up looking. A good match would be to use about 1/3 to 1/2 of the threads on your shock and a 12" coil will put you sweetly within that range with the 15" long QA1 shock.

Secondly, if you do use the 12" coil, pay strict attention to the RCD plan note about welding the shock tower gussets far enough away to "make sure you leave room for the coils". I thought I did that when I welded my shock tower gussets on, but now that I've installed an actual shock I can see that at the top I do think I got too close. So I'm stuck with 10" coils anyway because the 12" coil would ride up to the top of the shock far enough in the area where my gussets may be welded too close to clear them :rolleyes:

I'll have my complete conversion done in a week or two after I receive the rest of the parts but it will take a few months of "settling down" to see how much the 800 lb coils loosen up as Chad has described (and others who bought lesser strength coils have also mentioned).

The total cost for this conversion looks something like this:
$220 ~ RCD bracketry for your Ranger ;)
$320 ~ QA1 shocks
$ 55 ~ shock tools (spanner wrench/thrust bearing kit)
$120 ~ Hypercoil coils
$ 30 ~ misc grade 8 hardware/bolts
=====
$745 ~ total

One more thought: I'll repeat an earlier observation that the coilover does indeed get extremely close to the axleshaft. The RCD brackets are wider than the QA1 shock eyelets and you'll need to buy two or three washers to fill in the space between the ears of the lower bracket. I ended up putting two of the washers on the side closest to the axleshaft to get every fraction of inch away possible from the axle. Last weekend I did bounce through the entire range of motion while I was playing in the sand dunes and I cannot detect any hint that the coil touched the axle so I think all is good in that regard.

Hope this info helps anyone that doesn't have a suspension lift but is still interested in dumping their torsion bars. I think I'm the first one (?) without a 4" suspension lift to do it; now we know it can be done.

After finding out that my stock shock was a bit to short and pulled out from the top washer and the shock tower...:confused:

Picture012-2.jpg

I need to either get replacement shocks...Go SAS which is a thought but still not sure...or just go C/O

Do you still have the same advice now a month later... the 15" shock, 12" coils...750lbs? or have your 800's broken in over the last month...

Any update info you'd like to share would be greatly appreciated by me and others...

Do you still have the same advice now a month later... the 15" shock, 12" coils...750lbs? or have your 800's broken in over the last month...

Any update info you'd like to share would be greatly appreciated by me and others...

I put the 1" extensions on and yes I should have definately gone with the 15" QA1 shocks. The extra length is a perfect application for my Explorer. I called QA1 and they didn't seem concerned at all about their shock being used as a bumpstop and at the 15" extended length, it not only stops droop in time but also stops in compression just in time. No limit strap needed and no need to figure out how to rework the bumpstop I had to cut off to install the RCD brackets.

Yes I'd still say the same about the coil length. My 10" coils go down well over half the thread length with my axleshafts slightly angled down (probably equal to about a 1" lift). If I went to 750 lb coils and they settled in over time, I'd probably end up having to tighten them all the way down to the end of the shock body threads. 12" coils will probably be at the top of the threads for a stock non-lift height and allow more working room for a 1"~2" torsion twist range lift height.

I don't drive mine enough now to break the coils in this soon, so I cannot say the 800 lb coils have changed much at all. I note that you have a 5.0 so you've probably got as much or maybe slightly more front weight than I do, but I'll bet the 800 lb coils will still give a pretty trucklike ride. If you want it smoother stick with 750.

I'm extremely satisfied with how this worked out. If I do indeed ever get in the mood to change anything, I may go to 12" long 750lb coils, but these are working great as is.

Thank you so much, I may begin my swap here shortly...just need to work out all the little details... 750 or 800...10in or 12in...all that but your word has given me lot better view of things....

I am one of the few gen II like you running 35's with no actual lift kit or anything major like that, so I do need those additional 1-2" that has been archived from TT so still be there if I do switch over ...your truck has been in guide for mine and many others Thank you!

Update. After putting several miles on these things I'm gonna have to concede that 800 lbs is too much. I'm comfortable with them but it does ride real stiff, and most people wouldn't put up with it. Plus I'm driving it a lot more now - it's almost my DD again - and my wife commented on the ride when she borrowed it a time or two.

I'm going to order some 12" 750 lb springs sometime in the near future and convert over to them.

what about putting coil overs in if you have a 4' kit already installed.... i guess you could....

Gerald, this mod looks great, I'm just looking for a little enlightenment...
How did this mod effect your ride height on the front? Do you still have the lift you had gained from the torsion twist?

Gerald, this mod looks great, I'm just looking for a little enlightenment...
How did this mod effect your ride height on the front? Do you still have the lift you had gained from the torsion twist?

you can set the ride height at whatever you want by choosing what size springs and shocks you get. But your still only going to be able to go up or down about 2" without severely stressing the rest of the front suspension, unless you go with the full rcd kit

Ditto. Actually in my particular situation, I got my lift back. After all the miles and abuse I've put it through, long ago I had to go to Sport Track torsion bars which are heavier duty than the stiffest Explorer torsion bars, and even with longer torsion bolts at full crank mine had settled down to very little or no lift - looking at my front axleshafts, they were almost level instead of angled down. With these coilovers I can do what I want and I adjusted them to what would equal about 1.5" lift which is right where I want it.

will you take a pic of what the shock tower looks like right now? the only difference are the rcd parts, right?

Perhaps this is the solution I've been looking for, unless someone knows od custom torsion bars. I need to keep to 2-3 inches of lift for heavy towing stability but I do use it offroad some. My torsion bars keep sagging over time. Its a 4X4 4 door with a very heavy winch/compressor and brush gaurds. Then she gets loaded down with parts and gear when offroad. How are the shock towers holding up? I'll never jump mine either but it is very heavy.

Premier, I'll be rotating tires sometime in the next couple of weeks and I'll post a photo then. Joe, the shock towers are holding up just fine, but I haven't abused this at all since the mod... I haven't even been offroad. I did weld the RCD gussets on and assume that if they're good enough for jumping dunes, that they'll be fine for me.

Further update on this mod:

The 800 lb springs did indeed settle down and feel perfect now. However it did take a few thousand miles of driving before that happened.

More importantly, I just got carnage/breakage. And on the street no less, so pay attention. The shocks are at a slight angle, so when they compress there is not a perfect up-and-down match for the shock travel. If you will recall prior posts on this thread, I noted that I bought shocks one inch too short, so I ordered 1" extensions made by QA1 to lengthen them to proper length. (FYI, I had ordered QA1 shock part number HAL-DR-4855P which is with a poly bushing). Here's the problem: the extensions are made of aluminum. When I hit a speedbump too fast, the thin threaded end of the aluminum extension snapped, my front collapsed, and when that happens it also takes out the front axle halfshaft.

Luckily I have extra "trail spare" front axles, but I don't trust that aluminum extension anymore. I just got off the phone with QA1 and they suggested I get the "B" model shock (B for bearing, P for poly bushing) so I just ordered a one-inch longer shock with a bearing instead of poly bushing, and no silly aluminum extension needed. Part number from Summit Racing is HAL-DR-4955B. Should work well, with no future concerns.

awesome glad to hear its working well with the 800# coils, sorry about the weak aluminum part

so we should get shocks 1" longer then what you got and no extension needed?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Further update on this mod:

More importantly, I just got carnage/breakage. And on the street no less, so pay attention. The shocks are at a slight angle, so when they compress there is not a perfect up-and-down match for the shock travel. If you will recall prior posts on this thread, I noted that I bought shocks one inch too short, so I ordered 1" extensions made by QA1 to lengthen them to proper length. (FYI, I had ordered QA1 shock part number HAL-DR-4855P which is with a poly bushing). Here's the problem: the extensions are made of aluminum. When I hit a speedbump too fast, the thin threaded end of the aluminum extension snapped, my front collapsed, and when that happens it also takes out the front axle halfshaft.

Okay, I'm missing the visual on this, I can assume the spacer is not on in this photo?
DSCF0792.jpg

Back