chad551

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
St.Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport Trac
Ok here is my question.

I have a 2002 Sport Trac with the 4" Superlift kit. I then proceeded to remove the torsion bars and replace them with Fox coilovers and shock mounts from the RCD lift kit. The question I have, is that in the RCD lift kit there are 2 arms that go from the tranny crossmember to the LCA drop brackets. These appear to offer support for the drop brackets. I currently do not have these installed on my truck because my superlift kit did not come with them.

Does anyone think I should fab up my own?

Thanks,
Chad

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thats a really good question cause i was thinking about doing the same thing and i think the need for the bars to keep the suspension from moving back and forth but thats just my .02 but id like to hear some expert opinions on this

Well, the superlift doesn't have them, the torsion bars don't offer any similar support, they may not be necessary. I'd think they could help in a high center situation, given they were heavy enough to resist bending, but with all the countless superlifts that are running around, I don't think they are necessary. I've been thinking about this a whole lot lately.

Yea i see what you are saying but they have to be there for something other wise rcd wouldnt have them there to just suck more money out of you......i think ill give them a call and ask them myself and see what they say i am going to have to look into this more cause i would love to get ride of the torsion bars

Well, it appears that the superlift drop brackets do tend to bend, the ones I got were bent pretty badly. I suppose the kicker bars could stop the brackets from bending backwards if the crossmember took a hard hit. I may try to fab some up when I do my coilover conversion.

The torsion bars do offer forward support. They are basically in a bind and that will prevent the LCA drop brackets from moving.

well the more i hear about the superlifts not sounding all that hot.....and when you look at RCD and Dixon Brothers they are just rediculous priced so i think im starting to lean towards getting a waggy 44 and doing a leaf SAS still weighing out the pros and cons of it and the fact that i will have to get a lil beater to drive around while i do the SAS if i go that route which i want to do eventually so why not do it right the first time.....right

The superlift kit is a good kit. It not really any different than RCD, other than the coilovers.

Chad

I also do not believe that the links are all that important. Do not get me wrong more is always better in terms of strength. When ever I design something at work I usually make it 2-3 times stronger than needed. I believe that RCD is just doing the same and if not to make a little more money on the kit. I also did this conversion yet am not worried about adding those support links. I just finally added my 850lb springs and boy does she ride good.

CMAX

alot of reviews i have read about the superlift here lately have been saying that the brackets have tendency to bend when in extreme offroad conditions someone could just brace them once you have them on to the way that you want them

Back