Torsion Twist Problems? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torsion Twist Problems?

maxxus

Reaction score
anyone here running into problems with Torsion Twist Trucks? I am debating as to whether i am going to do a TT or not on my explorer. Reason...i had a GMC Z-71 with a full torsion twist and that sucker went through a few CV-axles on me.....a real pain in the ass. So, either i will go 2"body lift, or TT. Has anyone checked their front axles for damage lately? I am wondering if this TT thing might be a bad idea...........I am also sure that the ride suffers badly.....cause as you crank up those torsion bars....you lose 2" of downtravel.....that can't be good.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey man, i've had the TT on my 97 since this time last year and I haven't experienced any problems with them. I do a good bit of off road driving in the hills of West Virginia and we have some rough terrain up here and it's taken me everywhere i've needed it to take me. I also worried about the axles when i cranked mine up, but i always thought if you stayed below 2 inches that it would be okay, so that's what i did and they are great. Hope this helps.

Happy trailes!

I was one of the first to do this mod, before they even mad warrior shackles. i have had it since 4-97 havnt had a single problem
good luck
SEAL

Torsion Twist

Hi,
I installed Warrior Shackle's in the rear, and did a tortion twist to my 95 XLT about two months ago. I am thrilled with the results. It rides better than I ever imagined. It worked so well, that I did not even require an alignment. No shakes or shimmys. I also love the way it stands now. I added 31x10.50.15 BFG's at the same time, and still have no problems with the front end. I would not sweat it one bit if I were you, and I would highly recommend that modification process to any Explorer owner.
Ronnie

maxxus,
I ran with the torsion bar twist and shackles for quite awhile and didn't have any problems. The ride will not suffer as long as you don't go over 2". When I did mine, I found out that I couldn't go to 2 full inches without the CV"s starting to bind, but at 1.75" I was just fine. Some have been able to go 2", just not my truck.

Ray is right, you can go up, but just not all the way. I tried mine a full twist and did get some binding during full turns. I backed it off about a half an inch and it runs fine. Been like that for several months.

I have seen the Z71 suspension and it is not quite as "beefy" as the Exlporer's IFS.

if u are worried about it go with a 2 inch body lift and a 1 inch tt just a suggestion

I blew the front right axle seal. Not sure how much that had to do with the twist. But after my lift, my geomtry is back to stock.

juan,

did you do your lift yourself, or did you have it custom fabricated, id guess you had to get all kinds of things lengthed like driveshafts, steering etc. Great Looking Vehicle, How much did it cost to get your sport that high.cool explorer

View

how far are your's twisted?

I just did mine last night. I have an EB, so I think that they were already turned up some. I was only able to get about 1" of lift and now the screws are almost all the way in. I have a bout 2 threads on both sides (maybe 1/3" form head of screw to frame) ... Did I put them in too far?

Please let me know, I don't want to damage the suspension.

Turning them that far won't damage anything. The big thing is to check to see if you have any binding at full lock in both directions. Jack the vehicle up and turn the steering wheel to full lock, and then rotate the tires by hand. If you feel some binding, back off on the twist, if not, you should be ok. I put my 01 XLS up almost 2" at the front, and my bolts are almost bottomed out too, but I don't have any binding.

Where would the binding be?

It's hard for me to jack it up bc I don't have jackstands. When I did the lift, I left the car on the ground and I just used a pnumatic drill gun and forced em' up :) I really have no Idea what the CV joints are either, so I don't know how to look for stress there.

The CV joints are the two joints on each axle that allow the axle ends, axle, and front differential to be at different angles while still operating. If you look at your front axles, they are the things that have black corrugated boots on them. You can use your jack from the truck to check. Put the jack under the lower arm (part connected to the wheel where the shock attaches, and just lift the tire off the ground, turn the wheel to full lock, and spin it by hand. It should spin smoothly. If it binds up or grinds, you went too far.

Back