• Register Today It's free!

What is a torsion twist

Cartman

Reaction score
City, State
Waterloo, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Sport
What is a torsion twist, I know about the torsion bars and have read lots of replies of lift gains by doing a torsion twist but what are you really doing to lift it and how hard is it to do, any pictures would be great.

2nd part; what are the pro and cons of torsion bars vs. shackles. Any other good (easy) options for lifting 2".

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, as you know the torsion bars perform the function of suspension coils on 95+ Xs. Tension is placed on them by a bolt at the back of each one. Tightening the bolts brings the front end up, usually a max of 2". In fact, I readjusted one of mine today and lifted one side 1/2 of an inch in about 2 minutes. Very easy.

Shackles support the rear leaf packs, and longer shackles can give you lift. Replacing them takes under an hour.

So TT for the front, shackles for the rear.

Okay, I was trying to think of how you would actaully twist the bars and not have them break or deform.
Is it just a question of tightening the bolts to get the lift - no parts to modify or replace.

yup

Thanx

THANK YOU SOME ONE HAS ACTUALLY HELPED ME@!!! Thanks a lot, everytime i look around people always tell me to do a search. ive been poking around the site for days and i have just figuured out that shackels are for the back and torsion twist is for the front!! ahhaha any pics of the nuts that have to be tightend for the tt?? :smoke:

Before you go under there and start turnin, be sure to measure using a proper point on the truck to know how high each side goes up. Also lift up the front end when you do it. Allow a day or 2 for the bars to settle out and then if it is not even, make some adjustments. Good luck.

attachment.php

Check this link out for how to do a TT and pix to go with it. I did the writeup back in 2002. TT/Shackle lift writeup

No. You cannot lift yours Cartman. I will be the last one like ours that is still at stock level!! Maybe thats telling me something !?

Back