Tow Hook Question | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tow Hook Question

I used special nuts that were suggested on this site... they are called Flange Lock Nuts and have a serrated edge. I didn't need to touch my bumper at all, just went underneath and bolted them right on. There is not much room under there to hold the nut while you tighten the bolt, but these helped ease the process quite a bit. Pics:

IMG_3114.jpg

IMG_3117.jpg

IMG_3118.jpg

IMG_3120.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The green looks mean, and i love the texture on the trim.

I have the westin bull bar ive got a good idea on how to do both ste ups bar/hooks. Get longer bolts, put the bar on like normal than fit a steel sleve over the remainder of the bolt just long enough to fit the hook than bolt the hook to it. Im going to attempt this as soon as i hit the junk yard soon. ill post pics to clarify my steps when im finished.:thumbsup:

Chris

Thanks Chris. I'll be watching.

I forgot the size of the bolts but if i remember right 1/2 or 5/8 inch??? and 2.5" long GRADE 8 bolts/washer/nuts. I just took one of the hooks with me into Home Depot found the largest that would fit. I wound up buying both 2" and 2.5" just to be sure and returned the short ones.

No threads in the frame, i had remove the bumper cover, and bumper plate (30min) and its wide open to get a wrench in there to hold the top bolt.

2.5 inches seems a bit long? My tow hook mounts look about 1/4 inch thick and the mount on my ex is about the same?

i would really use grade 5 hardware.

while grade 8 is stronger it will sheer easier its not ment for "shock" situations. a grade 5 will tend to bend alittle before it gives way a 8 will tend to just give way.

snatching is a shock situation id rather band some and get out then remain stuck and loose a tow hook.

Curtis has a great write up. . .
It could have been 2" i don't remember for sure, but i did buy both lengths and used the better fit of the two, I also mounted the bolt up so any extra length would be in the frame. I also used Grade 8 washers top and bottom and a lock washer and then the nut. conig has a good point but the Home depot was only 5min away and Grade 8 because that was the strongest bolt they had, no grade 5 that I could find.

When the trans went out the flatbed tow truck had no problem pulling the ex up using one of the tow hooks.

Thelt YES those should work. I only paid $25 for mine on fleabay

Yip they are the ones.
I got mine for $20 shipped from fleabay

I put in a bid. If I win them they will be about $29 shipped.

i would really use grade 5 hardware.

while grade 8 is stronger it will sheer easier its not ment for "shock" situations. a grade 5 will tend to bend alittle before it gives way a 8 will tend to just give way.

snatching is a shock situation id rather band some and get out then remain stuck and loose a tow hook.

Take a look at article and let me know if you change your mind.

Tom

how much of a gap is between the threads and the head of the bolt? I am only finding bolts that have too much space and the bolt runs out of space to turn

The bolts I used are like this

IMG_4368.jpg

The hooks are about 5/16" thick plus the frame so its got to be 1/2" at least

got it thanks, It took me a bit longer then most I think because my hooks were a bit different the others and the plate that is welded to it leaves for very little room when you dont take the bumper off. I was able to get a thin screwdriver through a small hole in the side of the frame and use it to put pressure on the nut just to get the bolt started then it was easy!

Take a look at article and let me know if you change your mind.

Tom

reveiwed but i still say no, but i can see were my post could be misleading.

i didn;t mean the actual sheer strength being a lower rating, but that grade 8's give little to no warning before giving way. You can tell before a 5 will break is more what i meant.

i know im late on this but... those GREEN tow hooks and calipers are **** !!!! lol also i like the textured trim as well !!

yay for and awsome job on your part !!

Danny

i know im late on this but... those GREEN tow hooks and calipers are **** !!!! lol also i like the textured trim as well !!

yay for and awsome job on your part !!

Danny

Thanks bro!

I definitely don't mind standing out on the roads... I get many starers and pointers!

I have the westin bull bar ive got a good idea on how to do both ste ups bar/hooks. Get longer bolts, put the bar on like normal than fit a steel sleve over the remainder of the bolt just long enough to fit the hook than bolt the hook to it. Im going to attempt this as soon as i hit the junk yard soon. ill post pics to clarify my steps when im finished.:thumbsup:

Chris

I dont know if your mount is exactly like my Westin bar but I would be careful with the sleeves on the bolts. You would create a situation were the longer bolt could rotate. Once the bolt rotates (bends) it could become weak and break. If you do it for looks you would be fine, but any pulling on the hooks would likely bend or break the longer bolts. It could also screw up your bull bar and maybe the frame.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont know if your mount is exactly like my Westin bar but I would be careful with the sleeves on the bolts. You would create a situation were the longer bolt could rotate. Once the bolt rotates (bends) it could become weak and break. If you do it for looks you would be fine, but any pulling on the hooks would likely bend or break the longer bolts. It could also screw up your bull bar and maybe the frame.

funny you say that cause the other day i was planning it out, and thought of the thing you just did. so i threw that idea out:thumbdwn: but oh well ill think of another.

Back