Tow Hook Question | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tow Hook Question

I've got tow hooks and the nudge bar (like the Westin one) on mine. Works fine, but I ddi need longer bolts to get through all that and into the chassis.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've got tow hooks and the nudge bar (like the Westin one) on mine. Works fine, but I ddi need longer bolts to get through all that and into the chassis.

Longer bolts shouldn't be a problem as long as it is solid metal in between the head and the nut. Chris wanted to use a sleeve on the bolt to extend it low enough to get past the bottom of the bully bar. The sleeve would have allowed the bolt to bend. The brackets that come with the Westin bar do not allow for the hooks to bolt up easy. See Pics

0.jpg

1.jpg

JCUZ, could you post pictures of how you connected it. I may give me an idea.

JCUZ, could you post pictures of how you connected it. I may give me an idea.

Ah, I see the issue. Mine is 3" round to the bottom of the plastic bumper bar, but then is 1/4" plate, so it sits flat - therefore, my tow hooks just sit over/under the nudge bar mounting plate and the bolt heads are flat. I also have the winch supports bolted in there too; it's pretty crowded, but very secure. Pic below (top of photo = front of truck)

Tow_Hook_bolt.jpg

why not flip the brackets and modify the bumper.

flip them upside down the bar will sit 3 inches hire. go into the bumper with a hole saw and attsch the weston. the tow hooks would come out like stock and the bull bar sit right above it no?

could we just but a hook on the front cross member? I've had to do that in the past. ive not looked on the explorer but on most rides its the same material as the frame.

why not flip the brackets and modify the bumper.

flip them upside down the bar will sit 3 inches hire. go into the bumper with a hole saw and attsch the weston. the tow hooks would come out like stock and the bull bar sit right above it no?

could we just but a hook on the front cross member? I've had to do that in the past. ive not looked on the explorer but on most rides its the same material as the frame.

Believe me, I tried. Turning the bracket would push the holes for the Bull Bar to far apart or to close together. The only way I could see it working is to modify the current bracket or make a new one. Something I don't have the equipment to do.

hmmmm. are the brackets angled?

did you try flipping left side to right side and vise versa before flipping?

hmmmm. are the brackets angled?

did you try flipping left side to right side and vise versa before flipping?

it is hard to see in the picture, but the bolt from the Bull Bar is not in the same plane as the ones in the frame. I though about putting them upside down but that would have required cutting parts of the frame and bumper (the metal bumper not the plastic). I also thought about turning the clips 90 degrees and mounting the side with out the holes to the frame and mounting the tow hooks side ways. I wasn't sure if it would look right. Drilling 4 holes through 3/8" metal would have taken forever so I didn't try it.

are they hardoned steal or just regular steal. if you could flip the braket so the flat piece is on the ouside we could probable mount traditional hooks to that.

Titanium bit to the rescue.

Back