• Register Today It's free!

Tow Hook Question

Kovalchuk

Reaction score
City, State
OTTAWA, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT Loaded
Can anyone confirm if these are tow hooks off a 97-03 F-150 that will be able to fit on my Explorer?

The bolt holes look similar... but the seller doesn't know what truck the hooks came off.

Thanks guys

tow_hooks.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

why does it matter? not to be offensive...just curious why it matters.

why does it matter? not to be offensive...just curious why it matters.

Well I would prefer to know if they will fit onto my truck before I purchase them... (03 Explorer)

Although I suppose I could buy tow hooks that don't fit and just throw them at things.

call ford and give them the part number. they can confirm that's what there off of

just to answer the question, YES they do fit, I have some off of an 01 F-150 and they fit perfect. Go for it, and get 'em!

just to answer the question, YES they do fit, I have some off of an 01 F-150 and they fit perfect. Go for it, and get 'em!

Judging by your signature you already have the same one's installed! Thanks a lot man!

Confirm you look good to go.

How about a picture of a set installed.

here are pics - i have the stamp/strap kind also off an '02 f150. Sorry for the fuzzy pics with my phone

Attachments

• img007sm.jpg
    img007sm.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 571
  • img005sm.jpg
    img005sm.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 564

Mine will be painted lime green to match my calipers... I will post some pics when they are installed... hopefully early next week!

you are good to go. Those are the same one I have:
04-23-08_1750.jpg

04-23-08_1656.jpg

04-23-08_1748.jpg

DSCN0166.jpg

will the tow hooks fit if u already have a brush guard on?

I dont think so cause brush guards use the same frame rails to mount normally.

I dont think so cause brush guards use the same frame rails to mount normally.

True, but i have both. I just had to make a small adapter plate about 1/8" thick to sandwich between the nudge bar (brush guard) and the tow hooks to give the tow hooks a flat base, and I had to cut a small amount of plastic out of the bumper opening for clearance.

Can anyone tell me what type/size bolts to use with the tow hooks? I just bought a set off ebay but they do not come with the bolts. Also, it looks like it would be hard to get to the top to hold a nut while you tighten the bolts are there any tricks to doing this or do the bolts thread into the frame?

I forgot the size of the bolts but if i remember right 1/2 or 5/8 inch??? and 2.5" long GRADE 8 bolts/washer/nuts. I just took one of the hooks with me into Home Depot found the largest that would fit. I wound up buying both 2" and 2.5" just to be sure and returned the short ones.

No threads in the frame, i had remove the bumper cover, and bumper plate (30min) and its wide open to get a wrench in there to hold the top bolt.

There's a how-to on the forum somewhere, it states what kind of bolt you need exactly, and the tow-rating they provide.

True, but i have both. I just had to make a small adapter plate about 1/8" thick to sandwich between the nudge bar (brush guard) and the tow hooks to give the tow hooks a flat base, and I had to cut a small amount of plastic out of the bumper opening for clearance.

This is an issue I've been trying to work out. Thanks for the description on how to do both. Do you by chance have picutures?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is an issue I've been trying to work out. Thanks for the description on how to do both. Do you by chance have picutures?

I have the westin bull bar ive got a good idea on how to do both ste ups bar/hooks. Get longer bolts, put the bar on like normal than fit a steel sleve over the remainder of the bolt just long enough to fit the hook than bolt the hook to it. Im going to attempt this as soon as i hit the junk yard soon. ill post pics to clarify my steps when im finished.:thumbsup:

Chris

Back