Towing Wiring Harness / Relays | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing Wiring Harness / Relays

pmhuff

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with no power getting to the wiring harness for a trailer? I have power to the lights on the vehicle, but no power to the wiring harness. I assume it is a relay for this harness to protect the wiring / lighting. Any idea which relay, where it is exactly in the left rear compartment, etc? Any help appreciated!

pmhuff@yahoo.com
97 XLT SOHC 4WD
53000miles

pmhuff,
not sure about the relay. I have had problems due to dirt and corrosion. Are you sure you're getting a clean connection?

Jon

Not sure, but I am experiencing the same problem. I used the harness the first time last weekend. Everything worked great, but then I began to hear clicking in the rear compartment while breaking and no power was reaching the trailer. I think I am just going to replace the clicking relay and see what happens.

Does anyone else have any insight to this problem?

follow the harness wiring to its sorce. There should be a black box that has the harness going out one side. This is sort of a relay. it has your tail, turn and stop lights going into it and a power and ground. Check the power and ground.

Or it may need to be replaced. You can get them at any auto parts store and all the wires can be tapped into where your jack is stored! It is pretty simple.

Back