TPMS Sensor Issue - Mercury Mountaineer 03 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TPMS Sensor Issue - Mercury Mountaineer 03

Traxiss

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
This problem has been driving me crazy for months now and no one seems to know what the real issue is. I will try to give as much info as possible because most the fixes I find for this issue don't apply to my situation.

I bought the car used. I took my car to get new tires and after they were installed, I got "Tire pressure sensor fault". This wasn't a big problem because I just hit reset and it goes away. Months later, the TPMS sensor in my right front tire had sprung a leak. I bought a TPMS sensor online that was supposed to work with my car and supposed to require no reprogramming, it's Redi-sensor brand. However, I started getting a new warning, "Tire Pressure Very Low." This goes on every few minutes and is accompanied by a noise and you can't just shut it off. I have lived with it ever since. I thought it might be a problem with the new sensor. I took it in to my shop, and they discovered that the REAR left tire sensor was giving a reading of ZERO pressure. SO I replaced that one with another Redi-Sensor (I assumed that was the reason I had the new error, not because of the first one I replaced) However, I am STILL getting the warning! They tried to reset the sensors with the magnet and get the same error. I have driven it for two weeks, on the highway quiet a bit, and it still won't go off. The only way it goes off is if I am in my car for a LONG time...40 minutes or more.

Also, I found out that I do not have a spare tire, but someone told me it doesn't keep tabs on the spare tire if it isn't there. I suspect the RIGHT rear wheel was the spare, as there is evidence of an accident to the right rear.

And since I didn't have a spare all along, why would this problem start after having/driving the car for several months?

I plan on buying a new spare soon but I have a feeling this problem will not go away with that. Does ANYONE have any idea why I can't get rid of the Low Tire Pressure warning? Am I just to assume a product that is designed to work with my vehicle actually doesn't work with my vehicle? HELP!

-D

The spare is a steel rim. It won't match the other four, so you'd know if your spare was on or not. Spare doesn't have the TPMS in it, so the addition of a spare won't help.

If your Ford dealer is any good, I'd suggest have them look at it.

Back