TPMS on '03 Limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TPMS on '03 Limited

XploX

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
17 All-Terrain
I put new wheels, TPMS sensors , and tires put on my explorer. It has the TPMS on the spare as well, but left it alone...it remains stock.

The guy told me to bring it back after I got everything installed and he would reset the TPMS. I got the tire pressure system fault almost immediately after installation and a short distance of driving.
I took it in to have the TPMS reset, but it came to the spare tire relearn, the guy said his scanner doesn't have that option, but it should be good to go.

Went out of the parking lot and the system fault showed on the display.

Did tons of research and most everything said you need a magnet to reset the factory TPMS. FORD wants $50 to do this.
I called the tire place, talked to the manager, and explained the system fault is still on asked if he could do this procedure. Was told he never heard of it before, but would see what he could do.

Took it back, all 4 tires reset correctly, then the spare relearn came up. He set the scan tool for the front tire and it reset the spare. I thought this might made the horrible noise and flashing display of low tire if the spare went low. It tells when the spare is low with the message check spare tire pressure, no noises. So I didn't want this to be an issue so, I tested the system by reducing the spare tire pressure to 12lbs. There was no annoying dinging noise or flashing display. It also didn't register the spare being low, but the next day, when I started it, it displayed check spare tire pressure.

Everything is good and I thought maybe someone could benefit from my experience. If you have this problem, you might try this to see if it will work for you.

I had a similar issue. I had a TPMS fault for the longest time. I replaced the broken sensors and the fault still came up.

I needed to take my truck to Ford and have the TPMS module reflashed multiple times in order for the truck to take the new sensors.

Back