• Register Today It's free!

Tps - ?

kps36

Reaction score
City, State
Matthews, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Sport 4x4
I have read the Haynes explanation of the throttle position sensor, but still makes no sense to me. It tells the computer the position of the throttle? Does the PCM really need a sensor to determine this information? I would think the PCM would take care of the air/fuel mix based on what the throttle was doing. How does a bad TPS manifest itself? symptoms? can the PCM function without it? besides the check engine light being on all the time. I unplug mine and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

the TPS isnt need to make the car run but you will notice an extreme drop in throttle responce and gas mileage. the computer uses the inputs from the MAS and the TPS to know exactly how much air is going into the engine. the the TPS is mainly telling the computer what you want the engine to do. the MAS tells the computer how much air is going into the engine. based on the TPS, MAS, EGR, and OS the computer sends the proper ammount of fuel. this is how FI engines have better gas mileage because it only gives the engine the fuel it needs instead of letting the engine just suck in gas. the only sensor ive found that the engine NEEDS to run the the MAS all the others just effect the performance, gas mileage, and longevity of internal parts.

Back