• Register Today It's free!

Trans cooler question!

stclist111

Reaction score
City, State
fraser, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 ranger 2.3,2wd auto
I replaced my little cooler with one twice as big, on my 91 ranger 2.3 a4ld auto trans, with a( clutch fan ), I do have it going through the radiator to, however I am hearing that maybe I should cover some of this large cooler for the winter where temps can get to below 0 at times here in michigan, do you think that going through the radiator is enough, because I heard the fluid can thicken up and cause damage?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you're concerned that the fluid may not reach proper operating temperature, you could buy some extra transmission cooler line and bypass the aux cooler for the winter. Plumb it from the radiator cooler outlet straight back to the tranny, plug the aux cooler lines back into themselves with a barbed fitting to keep the internals clean, and make sure that you put it back together with the flow in the same direction when you feel the need for additional cooling.

My 2 cents--O degrees can cause a lot of problems with mechanical things.I'd bypass it for the winter,unless u are pulling a trailer a lot. Also I'd put a good temperature gauge on the pan to keep track of what it doing.
A while back I had u-haul put a tranny cooler on my chev van cause it was running to hot.The cooler lowered the temp about 80 degrees ,on a 2,400 round trip to Florida.It rarely got above 160 degrees. It did exactly what U -haul said it would do. Astro van trannys slip when they get to hot, but thats another story.
U could have moisture problem also in cold weather if the oil doesn't get hot enough to get rid of any condensation--I think/it seems/maybe not.:popcorn:

re-trans cooler

Where can I get a pan gauge , is it easy to install, what temp should it read, and do you know how much it costs. Thanks for your reply.

Valve It off maybe?

I'm not sure where you'd find the parts to use but it Might be kind of nifty to put in a bypass circuit with some good quality valves similar to the setup on a water softener or an air dryer so you just need to switch a couple of valves an voila summer or winter no muss no fuss.

Where can I get a pan gauge , is it easy to install, what temp should it read, and do you know how much it costs. Thanks for your reply.
I got the gauge from AUTO-METER .Also bought an aluminum, deep (extra qt.) oil pan from
SUMMIT racing.It had a taped fitting for a sender on the side.That was my fist attempt to lower the oil temperature.It didn't make any differance.I thought the pan material and size would dissipate the temperature more.
I drilled and put a fitting in a pan once.I,m wondering if I can do that with my explorer pan.

Back