Transfer Case and Differentials

espnfreak

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Elgin, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Maxima SE-L *5spd
The guys at the oil place said my dads 98 sohc needs his transfer case replaced along with his differentials. is this common? he only has 56k on it. how much would it cost and is it a lot of work?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

these idiots at the oil place are not mechanics.... that is a crapload of work.... go to a real shop.... not some kids trying to make more $

Originally posted by jas84
The guys at the oil place said my dads 98 sohc needs his transfer case replaced along with his differentials. is this common? he only has 56k on it. how much would it cost and is it a lot of work?

We can only assume they're talking about replacing the diff & TC fluids and not replacing the whole units.
I doubt he needs to replace to fluids at 56K and if they're talking about replacing the units then they are undoubetdly F.O.S.

well if you left it in 4wd all the time then you might have to replace something but other than that there would be no need to replace those. I suggest finding a more reputable service place or changing your dad's oil yourself.

Originally posted by ok89
well if you left it in 4wd all the time then you might have to replace something. . .
Well, since it is a 98 it is practically in 4wd all the time. All 4wd parts are turning and in use with the Auto 4x4 system.

I believe you are soppose to replace the transfer case fluid at 60k, and assuming its like mine, be aware that it takes ATF and not gear oil (just take a peek in the manual to make sure). However assuming the diffs are like mine you should never have to change oil seing as ford puts their special synthetic blend in that will last for at least 120k.

If they are referring to changing the fluid, my service guide for my '97 has a change interval of every 30K miles on my transfercase for severe duty. I'm not sure what it is for regular duty, but should be somewhat longer interval. The front and rear differentials are "filled for life" as Ford puts it. The only time they recommend replacing the fluid in the differentials is if you have ever submerged them in water or other service is required. The oil change places go by a generic schedule which is typically a little more frequent than most manufacturer's recommend. More profit for them. Look at the service guide in your Dad's glove box to know what Ford recommends, since they are the only ones that matter.

I just changed my transfer case fluid at 60 K. It's easy as pie to change. Took me about 15 minutes. Ford says the diffs are filled for life unless submerged in water, but I am planning on changing mine every 100K or so just for good measure. My rear has Ford Sythetic and the front has 70W90? gear oil in it. I rarely use my 4WD so I'm not too concerned about the front.

Back