• Register Today It's free!

Transfercase issue

184baller

Reaction score
City, State
vancouver bc
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 xlt 2' and 33s
Hello ive been looking for an awnser to my problem but no awnser found.
the problem is when i shift into 4hi or 4lo my front diff is not working the drive shaft doesnt lock in when i go 4lo. the dash light says 4 low even the gears for the rear have gone low but no 4wheel drive? if its the shift motor on the transfercase i would notice that nothings happening . all the indicator light work its like it doesnt know its not working..:roll:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

mine does this intermittanly (sp)

i never really looked into it, probably bad vaccum/electrical to the axle actuator or bad actuator

If the truck goes into low range, then the shift motor on the transfer case is good. Where you can't get the front wheels to lock in either hi or low, then it is more than likely the front axle disconnect that's bad as fsumotorhead suggested. 95 and 96 was the only years they had this, so I assume yours does too.

Try this. Put it in 4wd...either hi or low. Once you have the light on indicating it's switched, reach under the truck and try and turn the front driveline with your hand while the truck is in park. If it won't turn, then it's your axle. In 2wd, it should turn.

On a 95/96, it *may* be possible to turn the front driveshaft when stopped. The transfer case clutch coil is activated at minimum duty cycle when stopped, so it *may* allow *some* slippage even though it's 'locked' in 4high/low.

But I digress...

The problem with the OP's truck is, as mentioned, something to do with the center-axle disconnect, in all likelihood. It may be a vacuum issue, a sticky solenoid, a busted vacuum line, or a sticking actuator. Not an uncommon issue on a 95-96.

-Joe

well one of the first things i did was turn the drive shaft in 4lo and it turns freely. so i thought it must be the shift motor but... why does the gearing drop low for the rear?

Well, let's see here. I would have to look at the transfer case, but I guess it's possible it could switch to low gear, but not engage the front output shaft. I hadn't thought of that. That would indicate an internal problem with the transfer case. I would need to look at a manual for your particular model case to be sure. Then there is gijoe's information to consider too. I guess your next step would be to get the thing in the air on jack stands so you can actually see what's going on. Is the axle disconnect actually operating correctly, etc.

Yes, it is possible to engage low range and not have the transfer case lock. (that's exactly how the infamous Brown Wire Mod accomplishes 2 low) Lockup and range selection are two completely independent operations in the Borg-Warner 44-05 transfer case.

-Joe

alright so 4 low is ingageing but it seems that its not fully locking in . its like it slips out then back in .i think the shift motor is ####ed or can the be ajusted . and another thing ive read throught the brown wire mod and lets get this straight does that make it full yime all wheel drive and only swithch to 4 lo? or does it just by bass the trak control

If the shift motor was the issue, it wouldn't pop in and out of 4low, it would pop out of gear all together. Either the transfer case clutch coil is failing to stay locked, or the center axle disconnect on the front axle is failing to link the passenger side axle shaft. If the front driveshaft turns freely when in 4low (with the key on and engine running, vehicle on the ground) you have two problems, not just one.

Start here and report your findings.

so what is the best option to replace or swap for a 1st gen ? or what if the front diff is messed up?

The best option, short of replacement of the axle, is to fix what's there. It's a simple system... just uses a vacuum solenoid to control the vacuum to the CAD. The CAD is just a little vacuum motor with a shift fork attached to it. They're not complex.

In terms of replacement, you could bolt one in from a 97-01 which won't have the CAD. But I would only do that if yours was FUBAR'd beyond repair.

But that's just me...

-Joe

Is there any threads on dealing with the CAD? Im thinkin that what my problem is ive checke the vaccum line leading to it it all looks ok but no dice may be its broken i dunno????

So I found my problem the brown wire that goed to the t-case had snapped . I dunno why but after reconecting it works like a dream . its snowing like crazy here and its so much fun now!!! thank for every :thumbsup::thumbsup:ones help!!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back