transmission slipping real bad please help!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

transmission slipping real bad please help!!

tigercat

Reaction score
City, State
Perry, Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 sport
hi today i was drivin around (givin her hell) and parked for a while then got in started er up and went into reverse. put in neutral and got to about 4000rpm and slammed into overdrivedrive and it jerked and then barely moved. put the tranny in drive and it drove and shifted fine for a while then 15 minutes later it would barely move in all the gears but when i barely was pressing the gas it would catch and would slowly speed up and then it would act normal again. so i powerbraked and all to see what would happen and it acted normal and wasent slipping. but i drove for a little while longer and then it started slipping real bad again so i parked and now im wondering what i need to do and whats wrong with it. i dont know if it needs a rebuild or just a certain part. it was proffessionally rebuilt 2 years ago by amaco so i dont think it needs complete rebuild. the fluid was also recently flushed about 6 months ago but i towed a 2000lbs trailer with a 4000lbs truck on it on a 15 hour drive to south FL so the fluid is a bit burnt now but im just wondering what steps i need to take to start out with. maybe just a fluid flush?

thanks, Brad

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First of all, professionally rebuilt and "Amco" is a contradiction in terms.
It also sounds like you beat the hell out of your ex...These trannys are not meant to be beaten..I suspect you toasted your auto.

If you drive like an ass...your tranny's eventually gonna take a dump...

4000 RPM and then "slam" into gear? You're an idiot. You deserve a broken tranny...and it is broken.

been there done that. first car: Young teen+heavy foot= blown tranny!! yeah

they really cant take alot of abuse. in 50,000 miles im going on the third rebuild.
take it easy on the poor old girl.
mabey a fluid flush but yur probly lookin to be paying an expensive bill again.

dosent pay to be rough except if you can pay the price.

good luck

if you drive like an ass...your tranny's eventually gonna take a dump...

4000 rpm and then "slam" into gear? You're an idiot. You deserve a broken tranny...and it is broken.

x2

well what do i need to get? a compete rebuild kit or just certain parts? what causes the extreme slipping?

its burnt up. brobly all the clutch bands inside are shot or the trouqe coverter is shot. yur best bet is to go and have it checked out and professional help can tell you alot more due to the fact that we cant see fluid or fully understand how its driveing.

Any of you ather guys reading this post.
Ever heard of the a4ld not shifting properly in drive/overdrive but works flawlesly in regular drive. sometimes flawless in O/D too. any thought about whats going on.?

ok so i probably would just have to get the clutch bands only then? and how could i tell if its the tourqe converter? i cant get a proffessional to look at it because i cant afford that, thats why im askin because i have to do the rebuild myself

also i just checked the fluid and its still pinkish red but smells extremely burnt

no i towed in drive but i also noticed that the fluid is not in the crosshatched area its inbetween the two holes? can that slight decrease of fluid cause this problems?

Most definitely. Mine acted the same way when I found out my engine was sucking fluid into itself via the modulator. Top up your fluid, maybe that's the only problem. Either way I would change the fluid as you said it is burnt, also a good idea to add a really good transmission cooler, I have 2. Search the transmission section, it's all there.

try adding fluid... once a trans. is low on fluid it will slip and not like to drive...
We had a 4dr. that as we put the fluid in it would drain right back out... but as long as it had a good amount in it. It would move...

ok i added fluid and its in the normal range now but i got in and put it in overdrive and held the brake and gas to the floor at same time and it was pullin but then i put it in drive and the front tires slid from the power so theres still a problem with the overdrive gear or somethin. and also i noticed when i held the brake in od there was a clicking sound coming from under the truck so idk if that means anything?

Keep holding the gas pedal and brake to the floor at the same time and you will need a transmission. Do some searches and educate yourself on transmissions.

i tried im just not good at automatics so im just tryin to find out what parts or whatever i need to do to fix it. could it be the overdrive band?

i just called the ford dealer and the mechanic said that it sounds like the od band is loose or worn so if i tighten it would that solve my problem?

its burnt up. brobly all the clutch bands inside are shot or the trouqe coverter is shot. yur best bet is to go and have it checked out and professional help can tell you alot more due to the fact that we cant see fluid or fully understand how its driveing.

Any of you ather guys reading this post.
Ever heard of the a4ld not shifting properly in drive/overdrive but works flawlesly in regular drive. sometimes flawless in O/D too. any thought about whats going on.?

I have the SAME problem. I just started a new thread on it. Its been driving me crazy for 1 year. I wish I could fix it. It would give me back some power Im losing. After rebuilding the tranny my explorer just doesnt have near the horsepower it use to have for some reason.

well just a update i got in my truck cranked it up put it in od and it was pullin pretty good well i put it back in neutral and reved to 3000 and put in od again and it grabbed real good, so much that the tires squealed so idk what to do now the problem seems to come and go

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back