Trouble Starting Please Help 4.0L | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trouble Starting Please Help 4.0L

mn_vette

Reaction score
City, State
MI
I just got done swapping the timing stuff on an '02 explorer 4x4 4.0L. I managed to get the thing to idle for about 30 seconds, but it shook pretty badly. Then it just wouldn't start. If I hold the accelerator down to the floor I can get it to fire, but it won't catch and start. You can smell the gas so things are trying.

I tried swapping out the intake manifold gaskets and I'm getting the same thing.

I checked the fuel pressure and its at 65 psi all the way through cranking and holds steady.

I hooked up a scan tool and I'm reading RPM so the crank sensor should be functioning correctly. And the other sensors seem to be ok(couldn't check O2 sensors)

I did a compression check and I'm getting just under 150psi and I rechecked the timing and it looks good.

The only thing I can think of is that I'm getting too much gas and its flooding out the cylinders. What could be causing this?

I tried to start things agian this morning and it tried to start, but wouldn't catch and then it got to the flooded state again where it would only fire if the pedal was all the way down.

I'm at my wits end if you can give me some advice as to where to look I would appreciate it greatly. Thanks in advance.

Well, I managed to get it started. If I uncorked the EGR port in the exhaust it started up. The intake side is plugged, but by capping and opening the exhaust side I can get the thing to start or not.

I guess I might have a clogged cat. Any other suggestions?

Back