Solved - TSB 02-7-6 4.0L SOHC Timing Chain Rattle | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved TSB 02-7-6 4.0L SOHC Timing Chain Rattle

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
The valve covers are about the only engine parts that I did clean, when they were off(carburetor/brake cleaner). I replaced most of the front dress parts, the trans was evidently a remanufactured unit.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The timing chain instructions do clearely tell you to be careful with that tricky little gear. and put it in with the space facing the block.
Do a search in this forum on the following for my writeup:
SOHC Complete Timing (Front + Rear) Chains + guids+ tensioners etc

Thanks guys for the numbers I'll check my vin but I would say it being a 4x4 she would have the balanced shaft A great thread top points been a great help

Badgett, Mate does that number you gave for the 4x4 does that include everything from yo to go ,the whole box and dice including the tensioners ?

I copied those part numbers down, I should get to Ford Saturday. Night,

It says that's all you need. I can't verify because it doesn't tell what parts the kit includes. I'll have to investigate some more.

Can someone verify that this RH guide/tensioner is the "updated" version. I have a sneaky suspicion that Ford gave me an "old" part. There was a number on the side of this piece that read {4L2E-6M290-AA} I believe that the "E" should be "Z". I cant believe that this is the right one seeing that the back half of the unit is all plastic and the LH side was all metal
Exp029.jpg

What part number is on the box, and was the box about 2x4x12" in size? I had both front and rear, returned the rear. Both looked very much alike, but the one you have does look different. Only the new 2002+ version should be available from dealerships. Post the number for me and I might be able to check on it tomorrow. Regards,

Don , I could be amiss but are the 2002 gears the ones we need for the 97-01 sohc's ?

Yes, and they don't make any older versions any longer. They should only be selling the 2002 part. Ask for a 1997 SOHC cassette, you should receive a 2002+ part number. That parts box above looks like the original design, and part number.

White98 ,Mate is the number for the balance tensioner the same as the jackshaft tensioner I just want to confirm and also if they are different what is the number for the rear tensioner ? would anyone know the number for the oil pump and the front oil seal crankshaft and finally the number for the upper intake gaskets Please !!!!! am so sorry to hear of your tragedy at the university my thoughts and prayers are with you all with such a tragedy every human being is effected some way because we all belong Cheers Foxy

I'm having my engine pulled and all the timing chains replaced within the next 30 days by my local mechanic. My 01ST has had that raddle in the engine since 40k and now has 166k. I joined http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toddsexplorer/ pending approval to view and print out Todds information to provide my mechanic.

Hi I live in the UK, I have a 1997 4.0 V6 SOHC 4wd Explorer 6 times out of 10 when I start my car it sounds like the exhaust has some thing in it rattleing, and most of the time when the engine is warm the noise goes. Is this my cam chain? here in the UK my Ford dealer said that if the back chain needs doing they will not repair it, they will only put a new engine in. any help?
e-mail me pateman0@btinternet.com

hello I was wondering has anybody changed just the guide and tensioner instead of have to time the motor .

The only parts which can be changed without timing the engine, are the two timing chain tensioners. The normal order that people take, including Ford, is to change the front cam chain tensioner, and hope. Next people go at the front engine chains, etc. Good luck,

thanks I am going to change the guide and tensioner tomorrow

Tensioner yes, guide no. The guide is the part which comes with the cam cassette, the part with plastic on it that the timing chain rides in.

BTW, do you have a shop manual of some kind? Someone here at one time had posted those instructions in a thread. The upper intake may not have to come off to change the front cam chain tensioner, but everyone does because it is suggested that way.

The TSB kit also includes a check valve which is very highly recommended. Don't skip that, and/or make sure that you have it in the left head. It is next to the tensioner, behind a tiny screw in plug. Regards,

hello I changed the guide and the tensioner for the primary chain this morning . it went good didn't need to time motor didn't pull intake just front cover. no noise now .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well done with the tensioner, but whatever you are calling a guide is not the timing chain guide.

Back