• Register Today It's free!

Turns over, but doesn't start

StuPastu

Reaction score
City, State
Good ol' Jerz
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT 5.0
Hey guys, got a quick question for you all..

I've got a '98 5.0 XLT that won't start. It'll turn over all night and day, but I haven't been able to get an ignition for about 2 days now. This started happening frequently last week, and last Friday it became a real problem.

Aaanyway, I hear the fuel pump when the key is in position, and I've tried priming it 2-3 times before attempting a full start. No dice, but I do smell gas afterwards. All the accessories work as well, and the battery is only 3-4 months old. I can't test the spark plugs/wires for actual spark where the car is parked right now unfortunately.

Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd still suggest a pressure test. And you need to see if you have spark. Any codes?

deff check spark. also...while your turning it over does the theft light blink?

try tapping the crankshaft sensor (coulda been camshaft sensor, not sure)...

I had a similar issue and a few light taps & I was in business.

My sensor was underneath on the lowest pully. A quick google search should show you the culprit.

I hope this helps. It did for me. Remember to replace it, because it will happen more often until if finally gives up the ghost.

I'd still suggest a pressure test. And you need to see if you have spark. Any codes?
I'll see what I can do regarding testing those. Unfortunately the car's in a really tight spot right now, barely have room to get in and out of it let alone get under it. There was a CEL code but it was for the slowly-degrading cat. Not around anymore because I tried disconnecting the battery for a period of time as a sort of troubleshooting.

deff check spark. also...while your turning it over does the theft light blink?
No, the theft light doesn't blink. By the time I try to start it, I've already disabled the alarm. Last time the alarm crapped out the car wouldn't even crank. I'll try to test the spark, maybe when my roommate leaves I'll have enough room to get in there.

try tapping the crankshaft sensor (coulda been camshaft sensor, not sure)...

I had a similar issue and a few light taps & I was in business.

My sensor was underneath on the lowest pully. A quick google search should show you the culprit.

I hope this helps. It did for me. Remember to replace it, because it will happen more often until if finally gives up the ghost.
If/when I can get enough room to get under it, I'll look for it and try tapping.

Thanks for all your suggestions! Would it be at all possible that the starter coil crapped out? I guess whether or not I get spark would answer that...

Also, if I don't get spark, could it potentially be the alternator? Just throwing ideas out there...

Alternator only charges the battery. I would check your spark first. On the back of the coil pack there is an electical connection that tells the coil when to fire. Make sure it is plugged in! Next what you can do is turn the key on, and push down the fuel pressure test valve. If it squirts fuel, you know you are getting fuel to the engine. See this page by 2000StreetRod.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2349038

Alternator only charges the battery. I would check your spark first. On the back of the coil pack there is an electical connection that tells the coil when to fire. Make sure it is plugged in! Next what you can do is turn the key on, and push down the fuel pressure test valve. If it squirts fuel, you know you are getting fuel to the engine. See this page by 2000StreetRod.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2349038

Believe it or not, you can still get fuel at the test rail with a bad pump. I learned that the hard way, lol. I thought my pump was fine because it sprayed at the valve, but when tested it only had two pounds of pressure.

Ah yes. Good point.

Check for spark, sounds like you are getting fuel since you hear the pump and can smell it. Best way to test for fuel pressure is to have a fuel pressure gauge. If you are not getting spark, check the basics. Faulty crank sensor can also not give you no spark. If the crank sensor isnt reading, it wont send the signal to the ECM to give you spark. You could also have a bad ignition coil. I've dealt with many no starts due to bad plugs and wires. Way too many factors unfortunately. And it wouldn't be your starter, if it was it wouldn't turn your motor over. The alternator is only there to provide power when the car is running and charge your battery. Your battery is only there to power the vehicle for start ups.

Back