Upper and lower ball joint replacement. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upper and lower ball joint replacement.

SilverBullet

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Eddie Bauer AWD 5.0
Last year, I took my Explorer in because of a front end squeak. They said my upper and lower ball joints need to be replaced. I now have 74k miles on my Explorer (01 AWD), and I figure it's time to get this done. Rather than have a shop do it, I'd rather do it myself.

I found this on eBay, it's an upper/lower ball joint kit and also includes the upper control arms. Is this a good deal, or should I stay away from it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-Co...ryZ33583QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks in advance!

Quality is always a concern on eBay, I'd personally stay away when dealing with ball joints.

1) The auction states they might or might not be greasable. I'd spend the extra on Moog brand ball joints with zerk fittings. The extra life you'll see from them will pay for itself.

2)The right upper control arm included in the auction is ford's old 2 piece design. I chose to get Moog's updated 1 piece design which is identical to the left side and includes new bushings up top.

I Paid $140 each for the uppers and $40 each for the lowers. All Moog brand.

I also had to end up changing out both outer tie rod ends; Make sure to inspect those too

Back