V6 vs. V8: MPG | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

V6 vs. V8: MPG

06 / 4.0L I get 19 city for me and 23-24mpg on hwy, going about 72mph.

I did a trip this weekend and that is what it tossed up.

After little research and coming from a Subaru Legacy gt w/ 5-spd and long time owner of a 96 EB Exploder 4.0L.

My 06; 4.0L is quick and nimble and very quite and smooth stroll on the roads. I am very happy w/ the 4.0L. I'll skip the concerns issues on the 6spd / v8's. This is towing a family of 4, w/ two bikes on the back hitch and Yakima 16s cargo box on top of the roof rack!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ive got an 06 4.0..and im average about 18 hwy...I dont know what happened, but the gas mileage recently plumetted. I used to be around 21. Im checking everythin out..hopefully itll get to 21 again soon

I've got an 08 4.0 and i'm avg 14.0L/100km or 17mpg with about 75% highway and 25% city and thats with kkm intake and magnaflow muffler. Was getting like 15.9L/100lm or 14.5 mpg with same driving conditions before mods.

Dang.. that is low for a v6.

How about tires, they play an important roll also. That is why I am going w/ more hwy type tire with easy roll resistance. W/o proper inflation per tire is very important. Check your tires and also keep that TB clean!! Let the TB breath clean air.

I get 12.9 at the most on my V6. It gets me real mad sometimes because I rarely drive hard, I try to stay below 2000 rpms. I read the manual the other day and said the computer isnt acuarate until you hit after 2000 miles. I have 2,465 and it still says the same thing, I would of just bought the V8 instead cause my mpg stink!

I never go above 2000, however if possible try to stay below 1500, yes this means slow as a snail acceleration and you might get some looks, however it saves me money:) In the long run I end up with higher mileage per tank. On my way to work this morning, which is 5 miles of traffic lights/ at a top speed of around 35mph I was getting about 18.6. I understand this situation is not very accurate however by maintaining a lower RPM, 36psi in my tires, and driving slow like a 90 year old man I get fantastic mileage. As for aggressive driving, I never do it, EVER. The only time I have ever driven aggressively is when I was at Pismo, where I got 8.5mpg :D

with my mileage thats with kind of aggressive driving usually go up to 3000rpm but not over.

I check my actual miles driven by # of gals used at every fill up and compare with the dash readout. With temps now between 30 & 40 degrees here, I am getting exactly 19 MPG mixed and the dash says 19.1. No real highway driving, but I miss most traffic due to my work hours. Seriously, the only reason I see to go with the V-8 is for towing. Oh yeah, my other car is a GT500 and gets about the same MPG.:cool:

Ive got an 06 4.0..and im average about 18 hwy...I dont know what happened, but the gas mileage recently plumetted. I used to be around 21. Im checking everythin out..hopefully itll get to 21 again soon
Colder temps, lower tire pressures and winter fuel blend knock about 2-3 MPG off mine.

My V8 in the Ironman gets 17 MPG around town on 87 octane all day long. 20-21 on the highway.

Made the mistake and put 93 octane in it and got 12 in the city and 15 highway. I haven't put premium in there since, and we're back to the usual 17-21 MPG.

We had a 2002 model with the V6 and it never got better than 18 MPG. I'd never pass up the V8 to save on gas. You're not gonna see a difference.

why would putting 93 octane give it worse mileage i'm planning on getting a bamachips 93 tune does this mean i will get worse mileage. Most people say they usually gain mpg with this tunes.

i dunno how many mpg i get on my 01 sport

why would putting 93 octane give it worse mileage i'm planning on getting a bamachips 93 tune does this mean i will get worse mileage. Most people say they usually gain mpg with this tunes.

My mileage went down about 1 mpg with the Xcal 3. Right now I get about 12.3 in the city with the mods and with oxy gas.

any performance difference with xcal3 what tune are you running and whats oxy gas

any performance difference with xcal3 what tune are you running and whats oxy gas

Very noticable difference. Throttle response and take off is incredible. Oxy=oxygenated gas is used during the winter times to reduce emissions.

what tune do you have with what octane level and do you notice a difference between like 87 octane and 93 octane

My 95 4.0 5speed seems to avg 17-18 mixed. Onece in awhile i forget and put 85 in (15 years driving my 88 Bronco II got me in the habit, she NEVER cared what fuel she got) and it drops to 16 or worse. All mixed driving and stuck behind coloradans on long straight flat roads where they can't decide if they want to go 40 or 60 when the limit is 50! Set cruise at 50 and ya cream em. Sorry, my rant for the day... I was skeptical about the acetone thing, but I tried it for about a month (took that long to go through a qt) and I did see 22 for for tank. Same route and driving as before. I quit using it because of the hassle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back