v8 2wd towing specs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

v8 2wd towing specs

just picked up a 96 v8 2wd, and cant find any specs for the tow rating for the v8 tow rating. I would like to get a car hauler and be able to trailer my solid axle ranger to the trails/dunes. ranger is probably about 3k and a trailer i think about 2k. any help finding the specs would be great. thanks

I found this old MotorTrend article:
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/ford/112_9510_1996_ford_explorer_v8/index.html

The '96 V8 is the first model year for the 5.0L in the Explorer. Looks like the V6 (with towing package) was good for about 5300 lbs MAX and the V8 (with towing package) about 6500lbs MAX.

It's important for you to find out if you have that towing package. On today's models, without the tow package, you are limited to 3500 lbs MAX regardless of drivetrain. It sounds like the '96 still had a 4-speed trans, so I definitely would not want to tow 5000 lbs (your 3k truck and 2k trailer) unless you have additional trans cooling in the form of the factory tow package, or an aftermarket aux cooler.

'02 and later Explorers are easy to identify the tow package, simply by looking for the larger, integrated 2" receiver (standard is 1¼"). Not sure about your '96, what to look for.

Back