v8 gas mileage Increase finally | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

v8 gas mileage Increase finally

Im in kings park yeh its a 02 limited you got any mods?

The only mods I have right now are no intake, no cylinder heads and a bare block! LOL....

My explorer is apart right now as I am doing the head gaskets and/or heads. I had a persistent coolant leak that I've been addressing.

It's my DD and parts hauler and family vacation vehicle, so no mods for me really. It was exactly the way I had wanted one when I bought it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice maybe you should try the airbox mod when putting the intake back in it definitely works

what size is the factory intake tubing ?

thinking about doing custom intake piping from the MAF to the TB, this way the airflow will be smoother, and i will be able to eliminate the secondary silencer box...

im going to attempt something like the K&N 4.7L Tundra intake, which still uses the factory airbox...

what size is the factory intake tubing ?

thinking about doing custom intake piping from the MAF to the TB, this way the airflow will be smoother, and i will be able to eliminate the secondary silencer box...

im going to attempt something like the K&N 4.7L Tundra intake, which still uses the factory airbox...

I believe its a 4inch but since its the ribbed rubber its not that exact size it looks like a 3 inch though thats what i thought the first time i bought the wrong adapter. ford should of at least made it plastic casue thats the only difference with buying an actuall intake the tube will just be plastic or metal, plastic does the best for the heat metal pipe will get hotter quicker also the plastic increase the sound also.

I know i can make it work, but i just wanna get the right size piping first...

I know i can make it work, but i just wanna get the right size piping first...

If your ordering the acutal intake system its gonna be a 4inch

Good to hear you are improving your mileage! Are you going by the computer or actually measuring with each fillup?

I was getting 13ish mpg's myself, then got new tires/alignment and mpg's went up to around 15. The easiest way to improve your mileage is by how you drive, but as Ricky Bobby would say, "I LIKE TO GO FAST!!!" So I don't see gas mileage improving for me anytime soon:D

after looking at my intake...

the way the tubing bends, and where the vaccum line is on the factory tube... its not as easy as i thought it would be...

The biggest concern for me is the vaccum line at this point.

im sure i could pipe some custom pipe with the vaccum line port in it, but i dont wanna buy pipe, and have the intake hole to big / small...

any thoughts ?????

DAMN YOU FORD ENGINEERS ! JUST HAD TO F-UP THE 2005 4.0L X DIDNT YOU !:mad:

CALDWELL- I know Autozone sells some intake tubing that will have the vaccum ports you need(I think), as well as different couplings with bends to make it fit. I've really been wanting to make my own as well, but the Autozone stuff is chrome and I don't want chrome.

Another thought was to purchase ABS plastic from Home Depot and then buy some rubber couplings off ebay that come in different shapes, sizes and go from there.

I may just break down and buy a new K&N unit with my credit I have at Autozone.

I'd like to do the airbox mod and partner it up with an Airaid Jr. kit but they don't make one for the 3rd gen. like they did my Silverado. So I'll probably end up getting an intake as well.

My current plans for fuel economy are

~ Air intake (K&N or Volant)
~ Gibson cat-back exhaust
~ Sparkplugs & wires

What else is there to do to help increase mileage without gutting it. I don't have a 3rd row seat, I'm not taking out my spare (not with a 30 mile trip to work one way), and I don't wanna remove the steps (as I have a tendency to date really short women).

Good to hear you are improving your mileage! Are you going by the computer or actually measuring with each fillup?

I was getting 13ish mpg's myself, then got new tires/alignment and mpg's went up to around 15. The easiest way to improve your mileage is by how you drive, but as Ricky Bobby would say, "I LIKE TO GO FAST!!!" So I don't see gas mileage improving for me anytime soon:D

Im mostly going by the computer but i did measure once or twice to double check that computer is pretty damn accurate.

What type of exhaust do you have i think i seen in one of your videos that you have a Flowmaster 70? If so what type of setup catback? Please let me know as to im going to be doing this within the next month and pepboys only sells the 40 series. I plan on just buying the muffler and some pipe from pep boys and clamping it on not welding it. was wondering if u ever had a 40 or if the 70 is loud enough and how much of an increase you noticed as far as performance and mpg. I paid Midas to do my exhaust in my old Honda and it cost $600 i only want to spend like $200 max and i can do it myself cause its more accessible. The muffler is under $100 and the pipe is pretty cheap.

I'd like to do the airbox mod and partner it up with an Airaid Jr. kit but they don't make one for the 3rd gen. like they did my Silverado. So I'll probably end up getting an intake as well.

My current plans for fuel economy are

~ Air intake (K&N or Volant)
~ Gibson cat-back exhaust
~ Sparkplugs & wires

What else is there to do to help increase mileage without gutting it. I don't have a 3rd row seat, I'm not taking out my spare (not with a 30 mile trip to work one way), and I don't wanna remove the steps (as I have a tendency to date really short women).
Caldwell and limted knows all the tricks lol check your tire pressure i uped mine slightly and noticed an increase. If you have a roof rack remove the whole thing or just the cross member.

If any Explorer driver seriously wants better economy, it takes a lot of discipline to lay off the throttle. A lot of people gun it from stoplight to stoplight. On a 5000 lb truck it takes a lot of torque (and fuel) to get it moving. Take off slow, get it to cruising speed, take it easy. Subscribe to hypermiling practices as odd as it sound given what the vehicle is.

I get 14-15 mpg around town with my explorer, but have gotten as much as 21-22 on the highway with it. I've got the 4.6 with 70K on it, and I am usually carrying myself, my family, car seats and sometimes parts in the back.

And if I really wanted to get better mileage, I'd get a small car.

Many of what has been said points in the right direction.

- Tire Pressure
- Having a clean air filter
- Regular tune ups
- cleaning the fuel injection system regularly

Also, just bc it appears to be running well, doesn't mean it is. The vehicle computer will compensate where there are deficiencies, as it will regularly add or subtract fuel where it sees fit based on readings its constantly taking. Retrieving codes regularly will help you keep the vehicle running efficiently and help save the wallet.

Caldwell and limted knows all the tricks lol check your tire pressure i uped mine slightly and noticed an increase. If you have a roof rack remove the whole thing or just the cross member.

The roof rack does not have any cross members. How do you remove the entire thing?? I don't want holes in the roof. So if it's bolted down then it's staying. lol I regularly check the tire pressure (every 2 weeks) and I drive like a 90 yr old blue hair'd woman. Not looking for anything extravagant just a little more (and a little more towing power isn't bad either).

Mod with K & N filter?

I have a '07 V8 Sport Trac with a K & N filter installed. Would I get any benefit from disconnecting the negative cable, then reinstalling and letting it idle for 10 minutes? Thanks guys.....

I have a '07 V8 Sport Trac with a K & N filter installed. Would I get any benefit from disconnecting the negative cable, then reinstalling and letting it idle for 10 minutes? Thanks guys.....

If its just the drop in filter prob wouldnt do much. wouldnt hurt to try resetting the pcm will let the system take into consideration the different air flow.

yeah i'm looking at getting the k&n intake also. no matter how i drive, every fillup ends up being around 13.5 mpg..98% of my driving is city though. But on the other hand, my 04 4.6 has 118,000 miles on it, and i've not done a tune up yet. Will that benefit?

DONLEE1281

If you just replaced the filter, then there really isnt a need to reset the pcm, but if you want to remove the airbox silencer, then i would suggest disconnecting the battery. Once done the intake will have better access to incoming air. Sounds awesome too :thumbsup:

LOUD04EXPLORER

Anytime you do a tune up on your vehicle there is a benefit. good preventative maintinance will result in a top performing vehicle fella !

Here is the adapter i got finally took a pic of it.
IMG_1288.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So i saw a 2002 2dr explorer sport v6. And I had to ask the guy about his x. He said he gets 15-16mpg city and 17-18mpg hwy with no mods. He was astonished when i told him that i get 17 city and 20 hwy in a 4dr v8 :). I love that i now get better gas mileage than the v6 and v6 sport and i have an v8. Everyone should get the v8 just makes more sense and with a few little mods and money you can get better milage than the 6cyl the main reason why everyone prob gets the 6cyl.:)

i told him about the forum so hopefully he signs up.

Back