• Register Today It's free!

v8 gas mileage Increase finally

fedyfedz

Reaction score
City, State
Suffolk County, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 limited v8
So ive been trying to increase my gas mileage over the past month and think I finally suceeded. I did the airbox mod a month ago and noticed a louder sound from the intake but no increase in mpg I forgot to de-attatch the battery, once i did that and let it idle for 10 minuets i noticed a big difference.

Things ive done:
Removed Running Boards
Removed Cross Members for roof racks
Spectre homemade intake
Removed Air baffles-Replaced with Air breather
Seafoam
Oil change with royal purple synethic
Removed spare tire and jack(carry fix a flat and have AAA)

Before all of this my mpg was around 13.2 and didnt move much, now it is at a steady 17 and only did a short highway drive and watched it start to climb to about 22 soon will take longer trip to see what I really get highway. They said for every 250lbs = 1mpg increase im gonna see what else I can take off like taking out third row and other things. Next step is flowmaster exhaust and full k&N Intake, i have running boards if anyone wants them to.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

keep us updates i am always looking for mpg

i did the air box mod, but didn't disconnect the negative battery...did it like a week ago. how does it make any difference?

it " resets " the computer kind of...

it reads that your X is getting more air, thus changing the A/F ratio. this is not the best solution for an intake, but for a cheap $, and 10 minutes of time its not bad. in the ideal real world situation...

A true Intake, and a Tune is going to show the best improvements...

FEDY...

removing the roof racks, and synthetic oil, removing tire etc... your reducing load, and drag which will help some with mpg gain. Once the intake, and exhaust are installed, and you lose the lead foot after a week or so. you will see much better results...

If anything try to do as much as you can that's free!
By getting an intake and exhaust setup you may get like 1mpg, but you're spending hundreds for it! You'll NEVER make up the cost. But if you are doing that for performance or just the sound and it's worth it to you then by all means go for it. Just want to try to keep perspective here...

I just bought an 03 Mountaineer V8. Ive been driving it a week and I average about 16.7 mpg. That's not far off of my other 03 V6 at 18.1. When my wife drives it drops dramatically....

just did another quick change to the air filter i bought a maf adapter and a huge intake filter put it on in pepboys parking lot and to my amazement improved my gas mileage drastically again. now i get 17 around town and 20 hwy!!!

IMG_1273.jpg

IMG_1274.jpg

I'm also always looking for more MPG. I may only have the 4.0 V6 but same principals apply. I know I'll never get as much as my old stripped down bare bones Focus, but I'd at least like to get more then my old 4x4 V8 Silverado (21 mpg). I'm close at a 20 mpg average.

how do you reset it after doin the airbox mod

Just pull off the negative terminal on the battery reconnect and let idle for 10 min.

so while it is not running pull the negative battery terminal off them put it back on start it and let it idle for 10 min....how long do i leave it off

it shouldnt matter once taken off and put back on the system will reset the pcms and u shuld be good

xfactor=no electric fan yet thats to come with underdrive pullies

what parts did u have to get to do that air filter mod? looks good

its a 4 inch metal intake adapter fortunately for me it was the last one on the shelf bottom row in the back. this is my second try doing this first time all i could find online is the 3inch adapter and it was cheap plastic and the part that connected to the air filter was very small when i saw this one i was shocked it was perfect it was much larger and it even had the curve at the top to match the factory outlet. The one i got 3 out of the 4 screws were usable the other one was filled with metal and was no spot for a tool to go in and this was the last one so i couldnt go in and take the part out of the box i had a screw at home and it fit perfectly i think i still have the box i will post a pic of it. its like a no name brand but its is a direct fit. the air filter from spectre needed some modification all i did was take a knife and cut out the lip that is in the filter it was quite easy other than that fits perfect and it increased my mpg drastically for about 40$. Stay tuned for a pic of the box... heres a little pic from long island taken today.

IMG_1287.jpg

IMG_1281.jpg

IMG_1284.jpg

IMG_1285.jpg

IMG_1286.jpg

I did not use a reducer ive seen that video before to. I dont thinks this apllies casue its still the stock tubing no larger pipe only a bigger air filter and when you reset the pcms the computer will take into consideration the modification to the air filter and make it run accordnigly the only thing i noticed is sometimes when hard on the throttle it shifts harder sometimes than usual but nothing major sounds and works great. I plan on getting an actual k&n intake prob next year with a chip next is exhaust in about a month

nice where in suffolk are you. I am in Ronkonkoma/Nesconset. Yours looks like an 02 Limited.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im in kings park yeh its a 02 limited you got any mods?

Back