• Register Today It's free!

Volume Knob Has Mind Of Its Own

TipperT

Reaction score
City, State
McKinney, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer
I hope this has not been asked a 1000 times before. Tried the Search-Fu first but could not find anything.

I have a couple problems/symptoms with the stock radio. I believe, according to the owners manual, that I have the premium sound package. I do know it is the the one that has a CD and tape player. I do not know if it has an amp too.

Anyway, when I turn the volume up or down, it will do what it wants. When I try to increase the volume, it might go down in volume and vise versa. Sometimes the volume will not change. Sometimes it will go to full volume and not change no matter if I turn the volume up or down.

Also, the LR speaker sounds like it is fluttering when volume is increased beyong 1/2 volume and does not appear to have much, if at all, coming from the LF speaker.

Could this be the head unit or amp (if I have one)? Bad connection, ground? Is this something I might be able to repair or am I due for something new (or used that works)?

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like the head unit to me. Could be a combination of the volume switch and internal amp going out. I would guess damaged speaker first though.

Sounds like the head unit to me. Could be a combination of the volume switch and internal amp going out. I would guess damaged speaker first though.

Thanks for the input. I have been looking at some HU's and speakers on Crutchfield. Got my eye on a HU. Gonna start another post asking for input on it.

Tipper;
If you get you a new unit, can I pay the shipping on your HU to me to use for parts?
Thanks Chris

I know this has been a continous problem in Crown Victoria Police Cars. There's no fancy upgraded systems in them so it's got to be the head unit.

Back