Wanted: 2008+ Ranger Torsion Bark Keys | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wanted: 2008+ Ranger Torsion Bark Keys

JoshT

Reaction score
City, State
Middle Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ranger
I've posted this on other forums, but not here since this is mostly explorer stuff. I haven't had much luck from those other forums and it won't hurt to ask here as well, so here goes.

I'm looking for a set of used torsion bar keys for a 2008-2011 Ford Ranger. Willing to pay shipping if it is reasonable.

As some of you may know, the 2008+ Rangers had a different torsion key from previous years. These caused the later trucks to have a lower ride height from the factory and the pre-key (pre-2008 torsion key) mod used to be a common way to gain a little extra height on them for cheap. I'm going the other way lowering the truck and would like to see what result swapping to the later model keys would have.

They ain't necessary for what I'm planning since I will probably end up on coil overs at some point. I've got time and ability to play with it, so I'd like to try a set and see if I can find them for cheap.

If you come up empty these work fine. Saw an old EF lowering thread with a comparison pic of stock vs. these aftermarket drop keys and the clocking difference was significant. I'm using them with my 2-1/2" front drop and could go lower if I wanted to. Of course all vehicles are different because of weakend t-bars, etc.

1998-2012 Ford Ranger Mazda B Explorer 3" Drop Torsion Keys Lowering Kit | eBay

@swshawaii thank you for the link. I'm sure I've seen those somewhere in years past, likely back in the days of RPS, but had completely forgotten about them. Until you posted that I had no idea that drop keys existed for Rangers.

That's probably what I'll do. If I shop around for best price, I probably won't spend much more in a set of them than it would cost to have a used set shipped to me. That'll keep me from waiting and hoping that someone has happened to save a pair.

Only "issue" I've read with these aftermarket drop keys is fitting in the pockets. IIRC, some had to grind the width down so they seat properly. I bought mine used and already modified so they fit right in. Also remember to check your bump stop clearance and installing camber kits will likely be required to get into stock alignment spec and ease of aligning. Keep us posted, I really dig lowered Explorers and Rangers for street use. I'd mention adding a larger rear sway bar if they're still available, but that's for another thread. Good luck!

f4eR8y5.jpg
98oO71D.jpg

Back