Warning sound when Explorer is started | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Warning sound when Explorer is started

DirtyDog

I will not!
Reaction score
City, State
Alberta,Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
15 Sport
I just picked up a 02 XLT and every time I start it, it gives the seat belt warning until I put on the seatbelt. Also, the dash light stays on until I put on the seat belt.

Now after the truck is started for about a minute, the warning sound comes on again. It makes the ''ding" sound five times in a row then stops for a few seconds and starts another cycle of five. It does five cycles of five dings before it will stop.

I drove it for two and a half hours straight and it did this four or five times. No dash light comes on or anything when it happens.

Anyone know why it does this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your owners manual tells you how to turn that function off but my guess would be a bad connection under the seat for the seat belt.

I don't think it's the seat belt. If it was, wouldn't the light on the dash turn on? I only mentioned the seatbelt thing because it's the same sound.

The only dinging that I am familiar with is from the seatbelt. If you don't wear your seat belt, there will be a dinging, but not 100% sure about the light.

I am wearing the seatbelt. I forgot to put that in my first post.

I was just reading that you may need to have to dealer address the issue and/or buckle the passenger's seatbelt and see if it goes away. Does it happen when you have a passenger?

I was just reading that you may need to have to dealer address the issue and/or buckle the passenger's seatbelt and see if it goes away. Does it happen when you have a passenger?

Yes it does happen when I have a passenger and they have the seatbelt on as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

The only chim I can think of other than the seat belt is the low fuel light.

The only other thing a can think of is the drivers door switch (a common problem) my be starting to go.

The only other thing a can think of is the drivers door switch (a common problem) my be starting to go.

Would the dash light "door ajar" come on?

The only chim I can think of other than the seat belt is the low fuel light.

There are no warning lights visible when this happens.

Maybe it's a faulty sensor on the passenger side.

If you wear your seatbelt all the time, just try unplugging it if possible. Most seatbelt clips can be undone, that'd kill the light/sound right?

Is there any way to test the sensor?

Theres also a series of beeps that will occur if something in the airbag system faulty also, I've seen it a couple times. Have ford check it out.

I'm checking here first to see if anyone else may have had this problem before I run to the Dealer. We've managed to figure out airbag problems on this forum before so I'm not too worried about working on my airbag system.

I have checked all the wiring in the seats and it all tests good. There is no switch in the passenger side seatbelt that would tell the computer that it is on or off.

It's a bomb! run!!!!!
JK, my 97 started doing that noise when the airbag light in the dash blew, I replaced the bulb and the noise was gone

It's a bomb! run!!!!!
JK, my 97 started doing that noise when the airbag light in the dash blew, I replaced the bulb and the noise was gone

that is true, you should be able to see all your lights on the dash when you first turn your key to ignition/on position.

my 97 started doing that noise when the airbag light in the dash blew, I replaced the bulb and the noise was gone

You hit the nail right on the head!!!!!!!! The sad thing is, it's an LED that someone had broke off because there is a problem with the airbag system.

Well at least there's no more annoying sound, now I just gotta figure out what's wrong with the air bag system.

Thanks!!!!!!

You hit the nail right on the head!!!!!!!! The sad thing is, it's an LED that someone had broke off because there is a problem with the airbag system.

Well at least there's no more annoying sound, now I just gotta figure out what's wrong with the air bag system.

Thanks!!!!!!

If you can fix the broken LED then you should be able to read the Light Flash Code to help narrow it down.

If you can fix the broken LED then you should be able to read the Light Flash Code to help narrow it down.

Yup, it's 19. I'll check my clockspring if it's not that I need a new RCM

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cool! glad it helped!

Back