What are your top 3 performance mods? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What are your top 3 performance mods?

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
What are your top 3 performance mods? List in order please.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Used to be: Intake, Spark, Fuel in that order.

These days, with the great factory spark it is: Intake, Computer, Cat back.

To be more specific, I generally start with at least a drop-in air cleaner. Then, I head for a computer re-tune of some sort, Westers, add-on chip, etc. Finally, I'll add a free-flow exhaust system.

My next change is internal -- cam, etc.

The #1 change (really the only performance change) for us was the gears. 3.27 to 4.10's (we were running 30" tires back then)..

Still using 4.10's with 33's.. (need to change to 4.56)

The exhuast doesn't seemed like it helped performance.. just sound.. (3" from collector to flowmaster cat to 2.5 pipe to a flowmaster 40 out the back (behind the tire) using 2.5" pipe.. no 2nd cat, no resonator).

The only other change that I could say affected performance was the 700r4 (3.06:1 first gear makes for good launches)..

~Mark

Underdrive pulley
5R55S conversion
Tuning

live at the top of a hill it makes you go faster only works one way tho :(
put v-12 badge on fender everyone at supermarket will be impressed
a seafoam a day keeps the mechanic away :)

lockers :)
gears
camshaft

Uh-oh, looks like Al is now going for the fastest explorer, plus one that gets great millage.

The best quick easy mod I can think of to help performance is the sub-box removal mod. (Helps more with some people than others)

K&N Drop in
Broken stock air box
Regular gas

lol.

The only thing I really ever got out of performance is from the TPS

Catback
Intake
plugs and seafoam (tie) as well
I have only done these things, and they helped ALOT. im gonna keep moving forward with the ex, hopefully in als direction. i admire what he has done!

MAC Performance Intake
Flowmaster Force II Catback Exhaust (2000-01 V8 Explorers Kit)
Royale Purple Performance Synthetic Oil.

I'm gonna have to go to th dealer to have the Tranny flushed and front suspension checked. Do they have any kind of good Synthetics for the tranny fluids?

1) Supercharger
2) Turbocharger
3) Nitrous

;) Sorry, I am not exactly right in the head. But you still love me anyways...

Synthetics everywhere!!
Cold Air Intake
Sparks, Wires

Locker, Gears, Tires

Now, on my Mach, I'd say Custom Tune, C&L CAI and the Borla Cat Back.

Conical Air Filter
Flowmaster 40
Aesthetically Pleasing Mods (repainted trim, LED dome lights, grille guard etc)

I'd say...

Exhaust.
Tune.
Underdrive crank pulley.

The reason why i put the crank pulley last is because it's just actually adding HP you already got to the wheels. It's good but other's actually give you HP you didn't have.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd say...

Exhaust.
Tune.
Underdrive crank pulley.

The reason why i put the crank pulley last is because it's just actually adding HP you already got to the wheels. It's good but other's actually give you HP you didn't have.

Does it matter how the additional power is made, or is it more important that there is more power in this case? Your reasoning is your reasoning but I am confused by it a little in this case.

Back