What did you do to your 5th Gen? | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

I will still never undertsand why the Sport never got HIDs standard. I know it isn't "top of the line" model to them..the limited is.

But the price of it hovering around 50K...no question it should come with them. Do the 16s have them now or still no?

The orig headlights were awful...the 6Ks i put in is and will be the besst mod i could have done to it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I will still never undertsand why the Sport never got HIDs standard. I know it isn't "top of the line" model to them..the limited is.

But the price of it hovering around 50K...no question it should come with them. Do the 16s have them now or still no?

The orig headlights were awful...the 6Ks i put in is and will be the besst mod i could have done to it
All 2016 models have LED low beams and Halogen high beams. HID is no longer offered. I would think that the Platinum is now the "top of the line" model.

Peter

I wanted to take it for a car wash today. But suppose to rain a great deal tuesday...go figure it was 5 deg today..almost 50 on Tuesday. I HATE a dirty vehicle. The amount of salt it has been though the past 2 big snow storms bugs me to no end. But i am **** with my vehicles :D

All 2016 models have LED low beams and Halogen high beams. HID is no longer offered. I would think that the Platinum is now the "top of the line" model.

Peter

Yeah i believe PLatinum is. Has the same engine as the Sport no?

Swapped the grille from the 2016 Limited for the black Sport grille. Headlight swap next.

It's getting a little warmer here in MA. I've got the K&N intake ready to go and also want to do the BOV vent to atmosphere conversion!

I successfully bled out all the old Dot 3 fluid in my 2011 and put in Dot 4 LV fluid instead. Then I put in the Explorer Sport brake upgrades from Levittown Ford. I did it all myself. I had to drill 3 of the 4 rotor screws off and I ended up having to buy a breaker bar, a new ratchet, and an electric impact for the job but got it completed nonetheless. This fixed my rear brake and parking brake problem. When I drained out the old fluid, it was so dark and one of the old caliper pistons were stuck from corrosion.

I swapped out the front and rear calipers and pads for the police interceptor versions since the calipers have a higher temperature silicone seal and the pads have a better compound for heat.

If you get the kit from Levittown, get these instead for the Interceptor versions of the calipers and pads:

Front Calipers:
BRCF-208
BRCF-209

Front Pads:
BRF-1435

Rear Calipers:
BRCF-302
BRCF-303

Rear pads:
BRF-1383

http://www.levittownfordsupercenter.com/ford-explorer-sport-brake-upgrade-front-p-2195.html

http://www.levittownfordsupercenter...ake-upgrade-rear-pri-2196.html?reviews_id=439

I swapped out the front and rear calipers and pads for the police interceptor versions since the calipers have a higher temperature silicone seal and the pads have a better compound for heat.

If you get the kit from Levittown, get these instead for the Interceptor versions of the calipers and pads:

Front Calipers:
BRCF-208
BRCF-209

Front Pads:
BRF-1435

Rear Calipers:
BRCF-302
BRCF-303

Rear pads:
BRF-1383

I thought that the Interceptor and Sport brake calipers were the same, with just the brake pad compounds being the difference?

I thought that the Interceptor and Sport brake calipers were the same, with just the brake pad compounds being the difference?

Nah. The calipers are actually different only by the seal on the piston. If you check an Interceptor caliper versus the Sports, the Interceptor has that red silicone high. Temperature piston seal versus the Sports black rubber.

Nah. The calipers are actually different only by the seal on the piston. If you check an Interceptor caliper versus the Sports, the Interceptor has that red silicone high. Temperature piston seal versus the Sports black rubber.

Anybody know the part number/ price for the Interceptor seals? Might be worth changing when doing the pads.

Makes some sense - repetitive high speed braking leading to need for higher temp capability seals.

Probably use a different fluid too.

However I will say, from a few road course events I've never destroyed a set of rubber caliper seals.

doesn't mean it couldn't happen but it would take some serious abuse.

what about the brake lines?

and Does anyone know if that mod would work in the 2016 realm. I'd love to put sport brakes on my non-sport.

Did first oil change 1600miles and Found some metal shavings.

that's not all that uncommon on a first change.

I would however chage again by 5K miles and check it again.

do you have a filter magnet or a magnet on the drain plug?

Anybody know the part number/ price for the Interceptor seals? Might be worth changing when doing the pads.

I don't know the part number for the seals, but the part number for the Interceptor Calipers are:

Front calipers:
BRCF-208
BRCF-209

Rear Calipers:
BRCF-302
BRCF-303

For Interceptor pads:
Front:
BRF-1435

Rear:
BRF-1383

Makes some sense - repetitive high speed braking leading to need for higher temp capability seals.

Probably use a different fluid too.

However I will say, from a few road course events I've never destroyed a set of rubber caliper seals.

doesn't mean it couldn't happen but it would take some serious abuse.

what about the brake lines?

and Does anyone know if that mod would work in the 2016 realm. I'd love to put sport brakes on my non-sport.

Check your brakes, if your front rotors have those little cut outs near the wheel hub, then you already have the Sport brakes. Also, the conversion I did was to change out the 2011 brakes which had the smaller brake rotors and calipers before Ford put the Sport brakes on all Explorers except for the base model.

As for brake lines, I kept my stock 2011 brake lines in. I'm sure Dot 4 LV fluid that Ford uses in the 2013+ models wont affect a thing since Dot 3, Dot 4, and Dot 5.1 fluid can be mixed. The only thing being is that Dot 4 has higher boiling point than Dot 3 and Dot 5.1 has a higher boiling point than Dot 4.

because of the seals being different I wondered if maybe they might have used the higher temp non wicking DOT 5 brake fluid in the interceptor models.

otherwise, like you I would be using a high temp Dot 3 or 4 fluid. I run the Valvoline syn fluid as DD - and when I would track the car I would use ATE fluid. (which you can't get in blue anymore)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Took mine to the dealer to have my DRLs changed from my headlights to my parking lights in prep for HIDs!

Back