What did you do to your 5th Gen? | Page 24 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

JAN 9, 2017 - Happy Birthday to me!!!

Based on all the threads I read in this forum (love this site, btw) and thanks to 14ExplorerNC and KEN60631 photo's, I just ordered a set of VELGEN VMB6's in satin black. Spoke with a Ray and he made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

I also ordered a set of H&R lowering springs based on KEN60631's recommendation (http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP303102). I got it from eBay a little cheaper and got it for no interest for 6 months via my PayPal account (every little bit helps). They are coming from Carid.com.

The wheels are coming from Car1 GoodYear Auto (my boys) in Hoffman Estates, IL. They are getting me a set of Pirelli all season tires (296/45Z R20). They weren't cheap but they'll last me. I'm also getting a nice set of shocks but I left it to them what kind I should get. I've trusted this shop for over their 4 years in existence and followed the owners when they were working for other GoodYear places for years.

It was an expensive day, but a great one. I'll post photo's hopefully by next week Wednesday of my ride!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

JAN 9, 2017 - Happy Birthday to me!!!

Based on all the threads I read in this forum (love this site, btw) and thanks to 14ExplorerNC and KEN60631 photo's, I just ordered a set of VELGEN VMB6's in satin black. Spoke with a Ray and he made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

I also ordered a set of H&R lowering springs based on KEN60631's recommendation (http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP303102). I got it from eBay a little cheaper and got it for no interest for 6 months via my PayPal account (every little bit helps). They are coming from Carid.com.

The wheels are coming from Car1 GoodYear Auto (my boys) in Hoffman Estates, IL. They are getting me a set of Pirelli all season tires (296/45Z R20). They weren't cheap but they'll last me. I'm also getting a nice set of shocks but I left it to them what kind I should get. I've trusted this shop for over their 4 years in existence and followed the owners when they were working for other GoodYear places for years.

It was an expensive day, but a great one. I'll post photo's hopefully by next week Wednesday of my ride!

Awesome, I can not wait to see the final product! Glad I was able to help! I have a set of the VMB6 on my Shelby GT500. They are a beautiful set for wheels and would have gotten them for my explorer if i didnt already have them!

Awesome, I can not wait to see the final product! Glad I was able to help! I have a set of the VMB6 on my Shelby GT500. They are a beautiful set for wheels and would have gotten them for my explorer if i didnt already have them!

Dude... let's see the mustang!!!

I would post a picture of it, but i know the people who run the forum are pretty strict about irrelevant things. and my mustang not being an explorer might be considered irrelevant to the thread....... :dunno:

LOL no worries. I'm sure it looks bad ass.

I would post a picture of it, but i know the people who run the forum are pretty strict about irrelevant things. and my mustang not being an explorer might be considered irrelevant to the thread....... :dunno:

What year GT500? I've got an 03 sonic blue Cobra convertible...

What year GT500? I've got an 03 sonic blue Cobra convertible...
2012 GT500 with a fully built motor and TVS blower. Puts down 770 rwhp.

ADMINS CAN REMOVE THIS POST IF THEY WANT!

14408186_10157587141765599_1308823025_o.jpg

14500247_10154589075118114_3368690593122736913_o.jpg

My apologies for the dirty engine (been so dreary in the Chicago area), but Car1 Auto in Hoffman Estates installed my K&N CAI today. I have perused these forums quite a bit since I joined and read all the opinions but I have to say that I'm quite content with this purchase and install.

I've got a 2016 Explorer Platinum and the CAI is a lot quieter than you'd expect. Also, I can feel the difference when I step on the gas just around town. Where I feel the real difference is when I punch it on the highway. It's got a great kick and purrs nicely too. The true test is when I start traveling my territory. I'll also be giving an update as to the fuel efficiency (or non) with the CAI.

Next week, I get my Velgen VMB6's installed along with the Yokohama Parada Spec X 295/45 R20's. I'm also going to lower the car just a tad bit with the Livernois H&R Springs thanks to ken60631 and 14ExploreNC photos. They were nice inspiration. I'm going to also paint my brake calipers red thanks to supr squirrel and I'll download photo's when they're done. Again, using Car1 GoodYear Auto in Hoffman Estates. They're the best.

IMG_0719.JPG
IMG_0720.JPG

Co
Ok cool, so my Explorer should run around that time too, i got Livernois 93 performance tune, CAI, and correct plugs (14's where changed heat range) No thermostat yet, will probably get one from ecoboostpowerparts.com.
correct plugs i have a 2014 and was gonna do a set of plugs which ones are you running and what gap havent tuned yet this spring prolly

They have arrived! Got the Velgen VMB6 wheel's today. I'm just waiting for the Livernois H&R Lowering Springs to come in. They're due in next Tuesday. Wheels, tires, springs and calipers painted red all by next Friday.

*** UPDATE ***
As for the K&N CAI, I've been driving locally and put on about 30 miles since I had them installed and I'm getting about 15.8 MPG around town. Not too shabby. I start my driving (150+ miles) in 2 weeks. That will be the true test of fuel efficiency. I have not installed a tune... YET.

IMG_0732.JPG

fullsizeoutput_29eb.jpeg

Been a busy weekend for me and my '15 sport.

1) MDesign Intake

2) Black hood decals and I blacked out the "explorer" lettering.

3) Blacked out the sport badge and custom gloss black vinyl around the license plate area

4) Carbon fiber Ford badges with black lettering

5) Sorry I don't have any good pics yet but led fog lamps with Led halos as DRLs.

6) Rockford Fosgate Speakers in all 4 doors. (sorry I didn't take any pics)

IMG_0359.JPG
IMG_0374.JPG
IMG_0378.JPG
IMG_0385.JPG
IMG_0383.JPG

Thomas

Been a busy weekend for me and my '15 sport.

1) MDesign Intake

2) Black hood decals and I blacked out the "explorer" lettering.

3) Blacked out the sport badge and custom gloss black vinyl around the license plate area

4) Carbon fiber Ford badges with black lettering

5) Sorry I don't have any good pics yet but led fog lamps with Led halos as DRLs.

View attachment 95037 View attachment 95038 View attachment 95039 View attachment 95041 View attachment 95040

Thomas
How do you like that intake?

How do you like that intake?

Only have about 250 miles on the intake so far so keep that in mind.

Personally I bought this intake vs others because I feel it is the best looking intake for the explorer currently. I also like that the filter is enclosed and that it utilizes the factory air intake location in the front grille to draw in cool air.

Initial impressions are that it is well built and extremely lightweight, MDesign had great customer service, and there are slight audible changes. Don't expect this intake to make your explorer sound drastically different but it does change the tone some and make it a bit louder which I like. I feel like there's a bit more low end torque or throttle response but its hard to tell. However, I have my front BOV set to VTA and with this mod and the intake I can faintly hear the turbos spool under heavy acceleration which is pretty sweet in my opinion.

Thomas

Wheels look awesome with the 295 tires! Your truck and the one with the bronze Velgen's are now my 2 favorite Explorers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wheels look awesome with the 295 tires! Your truck and the one with the bronze Velgen's are now my 2 favorite Explorers.

Thanks, my friend. It was Ken3061 (Bronze Velgen's) that inspired me so I bought pretty much the same set up. LOL Wait until I wash and detail my ride. I'll post those pics up later. :)

And Kudos to supersquirrel for the inspiration to paint my brake calipers :p

Back