What did YOU do to your Explorer today? | Page 38 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did YOU do to your Explorer today?

Was late to work because...im guessing either the TPS os screwing up or my throttle cable is sticking. I guess the upside is I know I dont lack power......that thing tore up to 55 like gangbusters....guess that explains how a 30 year old 412K mile explorer can holit 0-60 in 8 sec. But hit the rev limiter, jhit gas again to try and release it when I pressed the clutch in before I babied it home.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Was late to work because...im guessing either the TPS os screwing up or my throttle cable is sticking. I guess the upside is I know I dont lack power......that thing tore up to 55 like gangbusters....guess that explains how a 30 year old 412K mile explorer can holit 0-60 in 8 sec. But hit the rev limiter, jhit gas again to try and release it when I pressed the clutch in before I babied it home.
Maybe it got confused and thought it was a Toyota for a sec...

Definitely check your throttle linkage. The TPS would only hold the throttle open if its physically damaged, which could be the case. I kinda doubt that though. Is the throttle body coked up with deposits? I wonder if the throttle plate stuck on some carbon deposits or something?

One of mine did something similar not long ago. I never found the root cause. I had to pull over and rip the snow cover off the throttle body to get the linkage unstuck. It was holding about 3500 RPM. I've never been able to replicate the issue. I did lube the end of the cruise control cable and the throttle cable so that may have helped it.

/\ 412K mile explorer - How long did your heads / head gaskets last? ...or are they still originals?!

/\ 412K mile explorer - How long did your heads / head gaskets last? ...or are they still originals?!

My head gaskets and heads are the originals. Actually a surprising lot of mine is still original. She just keeps running and reliably at that so I just keep driving it. I'm one of those maintenance and "if it ain't broke don't fix it" people. This one's been quite an amazing vehicle. Not many daily drivers continue being daily's to 30 years old and 100K shy of 1/2 million miles.

anyway...update....

Anyway, this afternoon I think I got it on the throttle issue, floormat + dirty back-side to the Throttle Body. Only took me 30 minutes to sort that out. Now she's back up to running around like normal. I was surprised as dirty as the throttle body was on the back the rest intake is very clean for having never been cleaned. I cleaned the front of the throttle body earlier last year when I had to recap the EEC-IV - as easy as the TB was I might as well add that to maintenance.

/\ Awesome to hear!....yeah, there's a few youtube videos of Explorers (4.0 ohv's) turning over to 400K and by comments it appears they reached that withOUT any internal engine work needed prior / up to that point. I sold my 94 Ranger to get my current 4x4 Explorer and that had just shy of 248K of hard miles... procrastinated oil changes etc and it ran like a top the day I sold her. Hoping my '95 currently at around 179K makes it to 300K or more....as long as I don't let it overheat I'm sure she will.

Converted my 92 explorers rear drum braked to disk brake. Didn't swap the axle out either. Just love how the 98 brake parts just bolted right on. Only thing I have left to do it connect the e-brake cable to the main single cable and I'm done. Everything else just worked out perfect.

I worked for my mom who I live down the road from. She has this little cabin thing and it accumulates old toys thrift and garage sale buys. Anyway I needed some work and she had this little trailer loaded down with trash so we worked on tarping it down and getting hooked up to the trailer. We put some trash in my SUV to. So when I got to the dump the other day I almost threw this toy away but instead. I glued him in place today and he seems to be a ready rider.

IMG_20220212_092241569.jpg

My alt quit the other day. Replaced and back to 14v again

Not sure what happened, but after about 3 years, I lost 2nd gear in my junkyard M5OD-R1HD... Drove it like that for a week and a half till I had time to get to the junkyard and grab another one! Swapped it out saturday, and I'm back to 5 forward gears again! :)
Also, just went past 525,000 miles on the original engine, have only changed out the intake gaskets due to a water leak about 15 years ago! The tranny's a different story, replaced the A4LD 5 times before I did the 5-speed swap!!

Here is a link to rodent deterrent electrical tape
Rodent Deter Tape
I was told to use peppermint oil, and it did seem to keep the rodents out, but not before over $1000.00 in damage. but now a different problem is that we have a sell of rodent urine, when we use the vent feature. do not notice it on AC mode. Anybody have any ideas on how to get rid of it?

I was told to use peppermint oil, and it did seem to keep the rodents out, but not before over $1000.00 in damage. but now a different problem is that we have a sell of rodent urine, when we use the vent feature. do not notice it on AC mode. Anybody have any ideas on how to get rid of it?
Remove cabin air filter if there is one, run the fan on high, spray Ozium into the outside air inlet then cycle through settings. Don't know where that is specifically on a 2019.
This technique has worked for completely removing rodent odor from a '03 elantra, '01 malibu, and the smoke odor of cindered leaves / (first gen blower motor resistor fire).

Maybe try something like an air conditioner grenade?
Worked for me with musty vent smell of an old used car, but nothin probably beats locating where the piss is and cleaning it 😬

Today is the first day I have been able to work on my new to me exploder. Replaced the master cylinder/ brake booster. Now I’m in the process of cleaning the interior. The person who owned it before me removed the carpet and used it for hunting. He was a heavy smoker and didn’t clean up after his hunts. A lot of work ahead of me today.

I drove my explorer up Buckhorn summit with a car trailer to rescue a Jeep Cherokee. Very steep grade coming down from 3000 feet (with said jeep), my brakes started smoking. Would not recommend.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Drove it to work then picked up a hoist to remove engine from my 98 tomorrow that I am scavenging parts from to save for the 97 I just brought home. Morning time i will be hard at it to get er stripped down and ready for salvage to pick up next week while I am at work. And yes the beer will make a showing at some point.

20211205_161224.jpg 20211205_161250.jpg 20220212_175735.jpg 20220212_175749.jpg

Back