• Register Today It's free!

What Plugs And Wires To Use?

2000XPLORERSPORT

Reaction score
City, State
lambertville,mi.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 FORD EXPLORER SPORT
Im Going To Be Doing A Tune-up Here Shortly Since The Truck Has Over 97,000 Miles On It. I Was Looking Into Denso Plugs Which Are Around $12.99 Each At My Local Autozone Store. With A Set Of Red Taylor Wires.are Them Good Items To Use For This Project?i Pretty Much Want The Best Plugs I Can Get For My 2000 Ohv.wires In The $40-$50 Range.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Man, I was thinking same as you I see no one responded what did you end up using and what results?
Thanks

I personally used Autolite Platinums with the Autolite oem replacement wires. The plugs were in my mom's expo for 75000 miles and they still looked brand new. :thumbsup:

the autolite platinums are pretty much OE i tried the bosch plugs and some NGk irridiums and for the first couple of months worked well but after that sucked and i had to change them becuase it missed fired on most of the cylinders went back to autolite and no problems since

I stick with Motorcraft plugs.

Motocraft are the recomended plugs because of their heat range. I bought a set of bigger 10mm ignition wires off Ebay for around $40.

Bosch plugs do not get along well with the Ford ignition system. Everybody has trouble with them. Much has been written on this here and other Ford sites. Unfortunately, Auto Zone pimps the Bosch's big-time to everybody.
Either Motorcraft or Autolite double-platinums and wires are fine. Platinum, double-platinum, or other fancy plugs will not give you more hp or mpg than conventional plugs, the only advantage is that they last longer.

Bosch plugs do not get along well with the Ford ignition system. Everybody has trouble with them. Much has been written on this here and other Ford sites. Unfortunately, Auto Zone pimps the Bosch's big-time to everybody.
Either Motorcraft or Autolite double-platinums and wires are fine. Platinum, double-platinum, or other fancy plugs will not give you more hp or mpg than conventional plugs, the only advantage is that they last longer.

DO use the Autolite or Motocraft double platinum plugs on the Explorer -- You need the double platinum because of the way the coils fire the plugs! Anything else won't give very good service at all.

Motorcraft plugs and wires for me

-Drew

Back