Not open for further replies.

RoadEnforcer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport
Right now I am really question on what to do....
I could go a few different ways.

1st choice: I have $250 bucks right now, I Could buy a flowmaster 50 series and Clear corners with silver tipped bulbs. OR I could buy the street scene speed grill and the clear corners with the silver tipped bulbs.

2nd choice: Wait until my next pay check, July 25th which I will be at about $800 bucks. Then buy speed grill, clear corners, exhaust, radar, chip and intake(if possible).

3rd choice: Let those mods slid till around x-mass or feb and put the rest of my pay checks up to buy intake and the Black Diamond Shaker Hood (fully functional).

4th choice: Save up to 3 grand a get sponsered by a place called Illusions. He uses the 3 grand you give him and then he puts in 3 grand of his own money to hook up the car. At this point in time I would sell my amp and sub because I would get the hook up from him and visonik. I would still do the grill, hood, intake, chip, corners, but would add rims, system and a custom paint job.

Let me know what you think, I am slimming this down alittle bit because I dont wanna get caught writing this at work.

All comments are welcome.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am apparetly not cool enough to vote, as it will ont let me..

I say choice 2

Has to be moved to the Polls forum, but I too chose choice 2

I say you go for the 3 grand scam.

If you decide not to do that...HINT....do what YOU want. Why should our opinions have any weight on this?

I think you should take the 800 bucks from choice 2, sell the amp and then buy a little honda civic or something.

My guess is you'll do what you want anyway.

Right?

I like choice 4 myself. Get everything!

Why do you want us to spend your money?! Do what you want! Personally, I would save a few grand and get a rim and tire combo. But, that's me, we all have different priorities.

That's why I choose option number 5.

I really just wanted your guys opinions... just to see if I was missing something whe I was thinking about it myself..... I mean I would love to go for deal number 4 but... that wouldnt be till december or feb.... and if i did that deal I would need to buy a second (pos) car like a 10 year old civic that just runs...because I wouldnt drive my X and leave it in a parking lot...

2001Expsport... I am just wondering why you called it the 3 grand scam?

If you are at a point where $250 is a significant amount of $$$, you may want to reconsider doing any of this. Oh yeah, don't ever put any of those cheesy after market mods on your vehicle. They are lame.

250 is not significant... What I can get for it is.... I do not believe anywhere on this thread where I said 250 was significant. But really as a 17 year old working a 40 hour job, any money you get is significant. Cheesy? A grill? Clear corners? Sorry but they make the pretty soccer momish looking explorer look pretty damn good. Damn when I got this car and if I thought I was gonna keep it stock, I would have kicked my own ass. Everyone loves cars from around where I live and I am not about to have my car pointed out by other people as being "another soccer mom thats about to flip over". I want them saying "Now the day that I have witnessed it all... an explorer cooler then all of our little ricers or low riders" I am not a person who likes to blend in with every other damn explorer on the road and I am rather annoyed by how weak the stock engine is... Modding it up, sounds great to me.

i like 2. your saving up and your gettin lots of toys for your car. saving up for that long just to buy a hood and an intake sounds too wasteful, its much more fun to get lots of little things that make a difference. ive looked into things like 4 before, and ive saved all my money and worn old clothes and starved for months, for what??? its too depressing blowing that much money on just your car, even though i spend all my money on it anyway. plus, you have to live with yourself and tell all the girls that you threw money at someone to do all the work himself, theres no pride in that. i say do 2, then in a few more weeks or months you got more money to post another poll like this!

I know you wanna mod your truck, and you probably won't wanna here what I have to say, but it's the voice of experience.

If I had the ability to go back to your age and do it all over again (I was spending my $$ modifying my '65 Mustang), I'd salt the money away in the bank and build up a chunk of change for the future. I bet I spent $5k (back in the early 80's) modifying my car while I was in high school. Man could I have used that when I was in college!!

Since you're probably not gonna do that, I'd look at #2 MINUS the clear corners. Clear corners are technically illegal (If I remember correctly) in PA and you might be forced to take them off the truck if the wrong cop pulls you over. Besides, it seems like every ricer in the world is putting them on and they are no longer "unique". If you want really unique, lower it and add Perry's fab and fiber fenders to it. That'll make people look twice!!

Yeah, Jeff I dont just throw all my money into my car. I have saved up a lot in the bank (believe me its up there). I also have the first three years of college set, for money already (long story). So I can afford to toss some money in my hobbies way and really since Ice Hockey and Football equpiment and member ships to gyms I already have.... looks like my car gets the funding. Thanks for your advice though.

And about the fenders..... My fenders are part of the cars body, it is not like the 01 and under explorers (which are like pop off fenders)..... unless you mean to throw a set of fenders on the body....... just wondering what purpose they serve. And for lowering, I would have to get it customly done because they dont make a kit for me yet.... Shocks would be more money and I am worried about hurting my car.

You are talking about modifying your X aren't you??? If so, the fenders are bolt on, and lowering it is very easy (lots of threads here on it). As for the purpose of changing fenders on your truck, it's for a different look (just like clear corners, etc). On the offroad trucks it's for more tire clearance.

yeah i hear you, I think I will pass on the fenders... For lowering... I am not mechanically inclined, so someone who is would have to show me the way inperson(my friends dad looks to be that person) he is building a old f-150 from sratch, finished the engine the other day and just put in the doors/ windows 2 days ago. I would feel like an ass just going to him and ask him to help me lower it, but my friend said he would love to do anything so....

Roll a die. If your disappointed in the out come then you know what you really wanted.

Originally posted by JDraper
Clear corners are technically illegal (If I remember correctly) in PA and you might be forced to take them off the truck if the wrong cop pulls you over.

i've driven in the cleanest neighborhoods in NY, NJ, and PA where cops dont have anything better to do than pull people over for mods. i have clear corners and tail. i can tell you that the clear tails really piss cops off, but after all my times pulled over and cops finding everything to write me up a ticket for, no one has ever mentioned my front corners. the only difference is the tiny yellow reflector is clear. unless the cop has his own explorer and is also looking for mods, i doubt he will ever notice.

i was pretty much forced to get the corners. to have clear tails and then a small yellow reflector in the front, expecially with blue turn signals, woudl of looked tacky. but the expense and tiny amound of detail that they bring, i dont feel it is worth it either for just the corners. plus, if the cops never notice them (which you want), nobody else will either (which you dont want).

about being forced to take them off... i've had it happen a hundred times, you want that over the fine. you just put your factories back on, go to the precinct, show them youve change them, and then toss them back on! i even carry my factories in the trunk, so i can do it the same day

go with 2. it is allways better to spend your dough over time, in smaller amounts, then all at once. i have done it both ways, 1. small amounts over time, and 2. save and spend big $$$ all at once. usually by the time i have the big $ to spend on the ride, i am sick of it. it really sucks riding around in a un-moded vehicle for a long time, eating frozen burrito's, wearin' jeans with holes. in the mean time all your friends are like "when are you gonna work on that thing?" in theory, it should be all worth it in the end, but it isnt. finally the day comes, you have all the money to do what you want, and a month later you hate it. just do it a little at a time. it helps you appreciate it more. as far as the clear FRONT corners, i would highly doubt a cop would even notice. i have clears on the front (due to a broken factory one, i got a set of clears cheaper than a boneyard factory one) and you can't even tell the difference.

Oh for Christ sakes! You are 17 years old! Spend your 250 on the exhaust . Then spend all the rest of your money on what you really want... you know... GIRLS!

Tom,

Lowering is easy as hell and cheap. All you need are some 1" lowering blocks($14) for the back, a ratchet and 1/2" socket to lower the front. The best part is, if you don't like it you just raise it up and you're back in business. Fenders are out of the question, nothing available. Clear corners, they make some for the front that are nice. The back clears are pretty lame. I suggest you clear the front and blackout the rear with some tint paint. I had 12% on my VW, so you're cool on the tint. I need to get mine tinted. Next get some rims and nice tires. Once you've done that get yourself a KKM intake($100) best intake you can get for the performance and money. After that maybe a catback, I am not a fan of catbacks on a V6, but it's up to you. Lastley, you could get a chip, but I'd rather spend it on some cool interior stuff like XFM and a changer.

Good luck,
Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

everyone says it is so easy and all... I am just a moron with stuff like that and would be scared to mess up anything on a 30 grand suv. If I get i lowered I would wnna get new shocks so it doesnt mess anything up. I was also thinking about doing some spray tint on the rear lights... just not sure wat to use or how illegal it is. if I am not doing the sponsered thing then I am done with audio stuff except for new component speakers and amp for the front two doors. Maybe some neons... it all depends, i really wanna get rid of the damn gray trimming around the bottom of my car! DAMN ITS UGLY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back